Thread: Chinks evident in All Blacks' armour

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Chinks evident in All Blacks' armour

Chinks evident in All Blacks' armour

25 July 2007, 7:51 am
    By John Taylor www.scrum.com

A third straight Tri-Nations, Bledisloe Cup winners for the sixth year in a row, a world record 26 consecutive home victories – take those statistics at face value and you would have to say New Zealand have confirmed their status as overwhelming favourites for Rugby World Cup.
    I’m not so sure. The other would be contenders will all have noted some chinks in the All Blacks’ armour; somehow they don’t appear quite so invincible – I think their Tri-Nations rivals and the European teams will have been encouraged by the events of the last five weeks.

Australia’s victory in Melbourne, South Africa’s front-running for an hour in Durban and the All Blacks’ total of only 8 tries in 4 matches show the gap has narrowed considerably.

The air of total dominance has gone; you never felt it was only a matter of time before the All Blacks suddenly upped the pace and ripped the opposition defence apart; you never believed they were in a class of their own. At this stage last year the rest of the world feared just that.

There were glimpses of greatness – the quality of the rugby that set up the two tries in the final 10 minutes from Richie McCaw and Joe Rokocoko in Durban (which turned a 21-12 deficit into a 26-21 victory) was breathtaking – but when the first choice players were on the field South Africa and Australia looked competitive, certainly in no danger of being overwhelmed. They have come a long way in the last two years

The 2005 Lions were the first to feel the full force of Graham Henry’s ‘total rugby’ philosophy and they were overwhelmed. Two years on the element of surprise has gone and some basic lessons have been learned.

You do not under any circumstances kick the ball back to the All Blacks and invite them to counter-attack – they are devastating. You have to match their ferocity at the breakdown particularly after a tackle. Attack in isolation and you will be gang tackled and ruthlessly turned over. Miss a tackle and let them in behind you and you are dead.

That was learning curve one. The next stage was to turn the tables and do exactly the same to them. South Africa matched them in the tackle area for long periods in this Tri-Nations, Australia managed to get in behind them to create scoring opportunities for their backs - the Springbok forwards with the Wallaby backs would really cause them problems.

Everybody I meet seems to want to subscribe to the theory that, yet again, the All Blacks have peaked too early. Forget it.

There is no better or more experienced coaching team in the world than Graham Henry, Steve Hansen and Wayne Smith. They will arrive in France with their team in perfect shape mentally and physically – put your house on it.

Even their selection has been meticulous. You have to feel sorry for Piri Weepu who looked to be challenging Byron Kelleher for the starting scrum-half jersey three weeks ago and at very least appeared the ideal replacement. He had already booked a trip to France for his family.

Suddenly, his form dipped, Brendon Leonard took his chance with a couple of sparkling cameos and with the young Canterbury half-back, Andrew Ellis, impressing for the Junior All Blacks Weepu was out.

Henry is a hard man – he is also on a mission. Having made his money whilst coaching Wales he is desperate to cement his reputation at home by winning a second World Cup thereby proving New Zealand are not only number one in the rankings but also, indisputably, World Champions.

The one area where he was not picking from huge strength is the midfield. He has some wonderfully talented players but no Tana Umaga. His departure has left a deep hole that he has been unable to fill.

I am certain Henry wanted him to remain as captain until after the World Cup and New Zealand’s attacking edge behind the scrum has been severely blunted by his retirement from international rugby. McCaw might be his natural successor but he is very much a leader of the pack. Nobody has been able to assume Umaga’s leadership mantle in the back division.

New Zealand back-lines have always been at their most effective when they have had a focal figure to call the shots. They are of a type – big, hard as teak but with a razor sharp rugby brain. Frank Bunce did the job in the early and mid 90s, Daryl Gibson carried it on and then Umaga took it to new heights.

Without Umaga they are definitely not as powerful in attack (or defence). It is yet another ray of hope; New Zealand are definitely not as far ahead as they were this time last year but they are still the team to beat.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree with the whole article, and this World cup is gonna be a lot more of a balanced competition based on present form...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Richard Loe: Midfield combos again the major concern

Richard Loe: Midfield combos again the major concern

5:00AM Sunday July 29, 2007
    By Richard Loe

It's been four long years since that day in 2003 when New Zealand's World Cup hopes evaporated in the semifinals. Four years - and yet we are still trying to configure our midfield now, just as we did then.

I know everyone is happy with Luke McAlister and Isaia Toeava after the last test against Australia but, I'm sorry, these are still very young guys with not a lot of experience and things to learn in terms of rugby nous. They are exciting players, no question, but I think there is still some dwelling on our midfield from the three wise men - and there needs to be.

I get a feeling that, when the chips are down and the World Cup pressure is right on, the All Blacks might feel better about Aaron Mauger and Conrad Smith.

That's why, for me, the most important All Black running around in the Air New Zealand Cup is Smith. He's a smart player and a skilled one, but he has had so little rugby he has to work himself into form quickly.

Against Otago, the Wellington pack and those inside him didn't do him too many favours with the service to him and I thought he looked a bit hesitant - and the try he gave away was a horror.

He was taken off in the second half when I thought the right thing to do was to leave him on for the sake of helping him improve his game.

While I am on the subject of the midfield, how come Ma'a Nonu wasn't in the 22 for Wellington? I do not think Nonu has fallen that far in terms of impact or skill and there is a smell of politics in the air, I feel. Tana Umaga is on the bench and, great player though he has been, he is almost finished as a player. Work that one out.

It's clear too that not all in the All Black camp were happy about the final selections. I heard Jerry Collins interviewed on radio when he was asked whether he was excited to be going to his second World Cup. He replied with words to the effect that he was, but it was tinged with sadness that his old mate, Piri Weepu, would not be along.

It's unusual to hear All Black sentiments like that on selection - normally they are very careful what they say - but I'd be surprised if any of that lingers. The All Blacks have a job to do and I will be amazed if they are anything but professional and focused about what they have to do.

That's why this Air NZ Cup is important - there are a few guys like Smith, Sione Lauaki and Greg Somerville who have to show they can do the business and get themselves smartly into form. Meanwhile, I thought while Weepu was a class above this level, Neemia Tialata and Chris Masoe didn't really show out as All Blacks should for Wellington, although I could see John Schwalger was really trying hard to impress the selectors that he will be right if Somerville isn't.

The other thing that must happen, I think, is that the All Blacks have got to play their top test team. Those same guys who need game time - none of our players are suffering from overwork, are they? - need to play in combination and as much as possible.

So, for the games against Italy (Sept 8), Scotland (Sept 24) and even Romania (Sept 24), I think the top team needs to be played. They can play the balance against Portugal in the second game, on September 15.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.