Thread: Rocky rugby road means selectors have it right

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rocky rugby road means selectors have it right

For once it seems Mat Rogers isn't talking out his fundamental orrifice!

Rocky rugby road means selectors have it right

By Mat Rogers

The world cup squad the Wallabies selectors have named is perfect and, if anything, highlights one of the limitations of Australian rugby.

There has been plenty of talk about how maybe the selectors should have been more adventurous, but that would have been a ridiculous path to head down.

Getting it right on the field is what wins you games, not pleasing certain parts of the media because you pick a few people who they think should be there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Australia just does not have the depth in talent that the other rugby union nations have. We can't chop and change at will, and we can't offer someone a position simply because they have promise.

So to all those who think they got it wrong, think again.

Yes, you will see the same old faces running around in the gold jersey but who cares. They're the same old faces because they have been getting the best job done in the past and are our absolute best chance of getting it done in the future.

In terms of young up-and-comers getting their chance, I think if anything the structure of rugby union is the problem that fails to cater properly for that.

There is nowhere for a young player to genuinely develop their game to a level where they can handle the pressures of Test match rugby, or even Super 14 for that matter. The Matt Giteaus of the world who can adjust quickly to the next level are as rare as hens teeth in rugby.

Kurtley Beale is a prime example of the problem.

He's a fantastic player with tremendous skill, but the grind of week in week out competition at a high level for the first time this year took its toll on him. He'll be far better next year, but he has to adjust to that large step in class.

I know the ARC is being put in place to hopefully alleviate this situation, because I know club rugby doesn't and I've been in trouble before for saying that, but I still do have my reservations about the ARC and what it will achieve for the game.

The ARC will not really help accelerate players like Beale. That is, those players who you know are something special and have the talent, but have to develop. And the reason they have to develop, and where they trail rugby league by a country mile, is with that experience at younger ages.

That's where league differs so much. I'm sure if you took any of the NRL junior sides and matched them against the development programmes of junior rugby players it's chalk and cheese.

By the age of 18, if these kids in league are good enough, they're ready both physically and mentally. They play in a tough competition week in week out and that's the reason young players in school are getting lucrative contracts, like that kid who was signed by Penrith this week.

The league programmes for each club start at 15 years old, the players are on serious weight programmes and fitness regimes and playing in a wider pool of talent so the good players are forced to lift.

And when they get that preparation before they hit the professional game, that's when you get the likes of Israel Folau and Greg Inglis. The clubs don't often get it wrong with young players, and they hit the ground running.

Some may think it sounds stupid, but sending someone like Kurtley Beale over to NZ for a few months and a stint in the NPC I think would be great for his game. Just playing that high standard of rugby week after week in a very tough environment would be perfect. New Zealand do seem to develop great player after great player so why not take advantage of it.

Berrick Barnes has had that with the Broncos and I'm sure although it wasn't his best season I think mentally he is well beyond the other contenders and that's why he was attached to the squad. I don't envisage him getting enormous amounts of game time, if any, barring injury. But it'll be a great experience for him and if we do happen to win he will be a world cup winner which is fantastic.

Just a couple of points I would mention against his view on development, as for once I actually agree with most of what he says!
    The ARC is in its first year, hasn't even started, and so is a base to build off.
    Until it is trialled all the tyre kickers in the world, no matter how well credentialed, have no idea if it will float or not. The NPC is often put up as the difference between Australian Rugby and New Zealand Rugby, yet the same people argue that it can't work here. Well put up an alternative!
    There are 14 NPC sides currently in New Zealand following the re-jig last year.
    In 1976 they started with 7!
    I am going to do up a thread for the Articles section however, the point for this thread is that you have to crawl before you walk.
    There were many many people in Melbourne who never believed a Geelong VFL team could work. These same stalwarts (and no doubt a few from Geelong) didn't believe a Sydney team could work. Heaven help anyone in the mid 80's who suggested that a team could be based in Western Australia, or that Premierships could be won by teams in Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney!
    It takes men (people!) with courage and conviction to see through changes and to move forward.
    Union in Australia is not as strong as it could or should be.
    The saying is, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cup no place for greenhorns

Cup no place for greenhorns

By David Campese
    Australia legend
    July 27, 2007
    You can add Australian Hall of Famer too now Campo

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has been a target of mine at times over the past two years.

But I am willing to defend him and his co-selectors against accusations that they were far too conservative with their 30-man squad for the Rugby World Cup campaign.

Don't get me wrong. New South Wales wing Lachlan Turner and emerging five-eighth Kurtley Beale are blessed with incredible talent. They are the path to the future for the Wallabies.

But people need to understand that the World Cup is such a huge stage that experience plays a vital role in trying to lift the Webb Ellis trophy.

Have a look at all the sides that have won the title.

New Zealand in 1987 had been together for quite a while; in 1991, we had a real core of hardened internationals and a couple of fresh faces - John Eales included - who gave us a really nice blend.

And so it has followed down through the years, until an England side billed as Dad's Army went all the way in Australia in 2003.

South Africa coach Jake White has said over the past few months that it takes men, not boys, to win a Rugby World Cup.

I have to agree with Jake.

It would be asking too much of Turner and Beale and other bright young stars on the horizon to enter the Wallabies' set-up at this late stage and make a real difference on the game's biggest stage.

There is no question these guys are better for the experience they have gained in Super 14 this season.

But Turner came in only midway through the year, and Beale ended up on the reserves bench for New South Wales after starting in the No.10 spot from the first weeks of the series.

If the Waratahs thought Kurtley needed to further fine-tune his game, how were the Wallabies selectors expected to lift him into the Test squad and into a Rugby World Cup environment that will be so much more demanding?

Turner and Beale will be the stars of the Wallabies' next Rugby World Cup challenge, in 2011.

For the moment, however, Connolly and his selectors got it right by not asking too much of them too early.

They have, after all, brought on one exceptional talent in the backline this year in Brumbies utility star Adam Ashley-Cooper.

He is a genuine gamebreaker, and that is good to see.

The Wallabies are going to need the attacking qualities he and others in that three-quarter line possess if they are going to win the Rugby World Cup.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Couldn't agree more with Mat and the additional comments... We don't have the depth in the aussie side atm and although ARC may not be the stepping stone solution to the problem of getting up and coming players to shine, it is a start. We really do lack that intermediate between club rugby and super 14, and Mat makes a brilliant point about the necessity of this level in terms of mental readiness. Even players who can adjust (like Gits) still didn't start well...i mean his first match was a disaster for him! Same goes if you look at Huxley's development...he started pretty wobbly with the pressure of international rugby but he's come a long way over the last few months.

To be a great player you need talent, but more importantly you need to know how to use that talent...that is something that only comes with experience

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    mmm....Rocky Road! yummy!

vCash
    Two articles from two people i usually have reservations about, but i have to agree on both articles being spot on, bugger me....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Champion
    vCash
    I can't believe that I agree with everything that Campese has written, what's going on!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The NPC isn't the be-all and end all, it is part of the picture. The NPC provides a broad base, providing talented players to the S14 and ensuring competition for spots. But it is not the reason the ABs are strong, as they have the same step from S14 to test as everyone else. The ABs are strong because they have always used the 7s, Maori side and Junior ABs to blood players into the higher level. We have always treated them as side-shows, but hopefully the Pacific Cup is a step in the right direction. I'd like to think they are developing an integrated approach, not just hoping the ARC will solve all our problems.