Thread: Pumas to beat Boks

vCash

Pumas to beat Boks

No one likes Sth Africa anyway so the Argies are in a win-win situation.

Pumas to beat Boks: Eales

October 12, 2007 - 11:16AM

Argentina will make history on Sunday by beating South Africa in the World Cup semi-final according to two-time World Cup winner John Eales.

The Australian legend believes the style of play of the Pumas will frustrate the Springboks and the team that started the tournament off with a shock victory over the hosts France can cause another one.

"I think the Latino dream will continue another couple of weeks,"
    said Eales, who was a member of the side that beat England to win in 1991 and captained the 1999 side to victory over France.

"The basics of the team are good, they have frustrated many teams so far. You can't discount them (after) winning the match at the start (against France) and if you play 10 times you might win two or three so this might be one of those two or three."

Eales equated the state of Argentinian rugby to how it was in Australia in 1991 and praised them for seizing their chance and promoting their cause to be included in either the Six Nations or Tri Nations, though, the IRB prefer they opt for the latter.

"This has been a really important World Cup for them," said the former lock.

"What I like is the way they've done it.

"They've said 'we've got the opportunity to prove ourselves' and they've gone and done it.

"It looks like they're having fun out there. You can't underestimate them. They're not that much different to Australia at the 1991 World Cup where we put rugby on the agenda (in Australia).

"What I hear about Argentina, is that it's similar there at the moment. Even a football game got moved to a different time.

"The interest is huge and it has to be capitalised on. This is them crying out for a platform and we must give them a platform to build on."

For Eales the general performances of the 'minnows' at the tournament has persuaded him to rethink whether it should be reduced to 16 for the next edition in New Zealand in 2011.

"If you have regular opportunity to test and engage yourself with the best in the world it will lift the playing level and I think that that is what we have seen in the World Cup," said Eales.

"For Portugal to have scored a try (against New Zealand) that is a moral victory and an absolute boost for them and I think that is encouraging.

"Prior to the World Cup I was sceptical that 20 was too many teams and could have been reduced down to 16, but they way the teams have played I think it has been great."

AFP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Big statement, nothing much backing it up. Nobody likes Chook anyways...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    nah i disagree the boks will be fired up for this one and be pumping at 120%
    i would have loved to see the Puma's v Boks final but hey sh1t happens!

vCash
    It will be a close game I think. Argies to win by.......9 points. Saffas have got nothing and are going nowhere.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Wait what teams do you support again? Where did they finish up?

vCash
    Fishy fishy fishy! Here fishy fishy fishy!

I'm throwing you back Shaun, can't keep the undersized ones.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Nice answer mate, ashamed are we?

vCash
    Not collectively, no.

Gigsa made me do it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Glad you didnt say everyone "hates" the saffers Chook....now that might cause problems..

vCash
    go pumas

vCash
    Would it be great for world rugby for the Puma's to win, I'm not so sure. I think they have already exceeded their objectives for this tournament and just to give some balance I think the problems South Africa are facing with the mass exodus of internationals would receive an equally important shot in the arm from a WCup victory. If the Pumas really need to be world champions before the tri-N's consider allowing them in then I think that is a shame on whoever organises that comp.

I think that in a one-off match the Pumas have every chance of pulling this off but do i really want the WCup final to be a kicking match between Wilkinson and Hernandez? I am truly a neutral for this semi but if I had to come down on one side of the fence I beleive the Saffies have a more balanced squad which has proven to be able to cope with the English pack, I know they have yet to get past the French but I have had such terrible luck this tournament that I can see them doing just that, please no!

vCash
    I hear ya FT, but I'm pretty convinced that the Frogs will be on the other side of the ledger, so for that reason it will be FANTASTIC for world rugby to see Argentina get up. Basically, you'll have another country added to the list of world cup winners (and if the final is frog v puma, the frogs won't make the same mistake a second time) I think the Pumas could upstage the yarpies , but all the planets will need to line up just right.

Of course Eddie Jones is an advisor for South Africa!

C'mon the