Thread: Connolly gains support

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Connolly gains support

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/r...-support-32735

6/08/2007 12:30:50 PM

Sportal

Victorian Rugby Union President, Gary Gray has thrown his support behind Wallabies head-coach John Connolly and hit out at the 'doomsayers' who he says continue to criticise the upcoming Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

Gray claimed coach Connolly had been under increasing pressure in recent days as rumours of divisions inside the Wallabies camp were circulated in the Sydney media.

But the VRU President insisted he had received personal assurances from Connolly that the rumoured fractures within the Wallabies playing and coaching ranks were unfounded - claims he said were supported by Melbourne Rebels lock Matt Cockbain.

"Matt Cockbain, who plays for our team (the AAMI Melbourne Rebels) in the Mazda ARC, was also in camp with the Wallabies last week in Sydney and he said the stories couldn't be further from the mark," Gray said.

"Here in Victoria we have a unique challenge and to continually read the comments attributed to ARU powerbrokers and unnamed 'spokespeople' is simply un-Australian and just as importantly un-Rugby."

"I'm sure I speak for all Victorians and all Rugby followers when I say it's time to focus on the positives as the (Wallabies) team gets ready for France," he said.

But the VRU boss did not stop there, launching a stinging attack on critics of the new eight-team competition, just days before the season is set to get underway.
    "In Victoria we are focused on growing the game," he said.

"I simply can't believe that true rugby people are continually willing to be destructive without having the guts to put their name behind their destructive comments."

"If there is a legitimate view why do they need to be secretive; step up to the plate gentlemen, tell us who you are and let's have the debate openly; otherwise shut up and nick off," Gray said.

Gray remained adamant that ARU Managing Director and CEO, John O'Neill, supports the Mazda ARC concept and maintained that the players and coaches are fully committed to the tournament.

"John O'Neill outlined two key tasks of his current reign when I spoke to him at the Bledisloe Cup in Melbourne last month," Gray said.

"First was to make sure Australia perform to its best at the Rugby World Cup in France and second to guarantee the success of the ARC - this year."

"If you have any doubts about the ARC - ask the players, coaches, Unions involved - you'll get the same answer. It's what we needed, what we wanted," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The Rebels should get fairly decent crowds...we have relatives and friends in Melbourne who are constantly moaning about how they get little rugby, so this would be a good chance to show how much they support rugby....but i guess thats what you get living in a city with 10 AFL teams!!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    It's good to see these guys strand up for the Wallabies and the ARC.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    It's good to see these guys strand up for the Wallabies and the ARC.
    Oh yeah, they love their sport in Melbourne

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkizaWWE
    .we have relatives and friends in Melbourne who are constantly moaning about how they get little rugby,
    Well if any more of your rellies move across the ditch you better tell 'em to go where the action is - FORCETOWN!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Well if any more of your rellies move across the ditch you better tell 'em to go where the action is - FORCETOWN!

Heck no, the reason my parents moved to WA was to get away from the family