Thread: ARC a success!

vCash

ARC a success!

ARC a success says O'Neill
    Saturday, 11 August 2007 @ 7:11 AM
    sportal.com.au

An excited John O'Neill has labelled the opening night of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship a 'red letter night' for rugby in this country.

The ARU Managing Director and CEO was thrilled by the crowd figure of 3547 and equally impressed by the on-field action served up by the Sydney Fleet and Central Coast Rays.

Over in the West, an equally impressive crowd of 3643 turned up to watch the Perth Spirit overcome the Western Sydney Rams 21-13 at Member’s Equity Stadium, Perth.

Australia's leading sports administrator, who returned to the ARU hot seat six weeks ago, was quick to credit his predecessor following a promising beginning for the Mazda ARC.

"It's a credit to people like (former ARU boss) Gary Flowers who helped get it up and running," O'Neill said.

"The fact people have shown up in a larger than expected way is a good sign and the quality of rugby has been great."

"You can see that as a development pathway, the fill-in between club rugby and Super 14 this is a great step."

Meanwhile in Sydney, all eyes were on Wallabies No.8 Wycliff Palu, who made his return to rugby following a six-week layoff courtesy of an injured right shoulder.

Palu was instrumental in the Rays' dominant first-half performance, and appeared untroubled by his shoulder throughout.

The 25-year-old was forced from the field seconds before the interval with a minor hamstring complaint but appears a likely starter next week.

And despite admitting to a serious bout of pre-game jitters the man-mountain admitted he was pleased with his return.

"It was the perfect hit out (and) if it wasn't for the hammy I probably would have asked to stay out there; I really enjoyed it," Palu said.

"Before the game I was probably the most nervous I've been this year but after the first five minutes all that went away."

When asked how his injured right shoulder felt during the match Palu said: "I couldn't feel it at all out there."

The other big story of the night was the late omission of Rays fullback Peter Hewat with a minor leg complaint.

After the match Rays coach John McKee said he was unwilling to risk further injury to such a crucial player.

"It was really a judgement we made based on that he could have played tonight and then we might of missed him for the next two or three weeks," McKee said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't believe O'Neil was "impressed" with 3500 attendance.
    Perth would have had over 5000 if not for the weather and a lot of soft hearts... I'll be havin a word to at least 20 people about not turning up.

Lets get the joint pumpin next Friday, give the boys a big send off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil

The ARU Managing Director and CEO was thrilled by the crowd figure of 3547 and equally impressed by the on-field action served up by the Sydney Fleet and Central Coast Rays.

Over in the West, an equally impressive crowd of 3643 turned up to watch the Perth Spirit overcome the Western Sydney Rams 21-13 at Member’s Equity Stadium, Perth.
    Last time i checked 3547 doesn't equal 3643 and weather permitting next week we should have an even bigger crowd!!!

vCash
    crowd would have been better i think if the weather wasnt so bad (i too will be interrogaring some people). Couldnt have been better...............rain, freezing cold, RECTANGULAR stadium couple of beers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83
    Couldnt have been better...............rain, freezing cold, RECTANGULAR stadium couple of beers
    Ahh, Rugby at its finest
    Would have thought the twenty million Poms in Perth would have flocked to the ground for a dose of the Mother Country

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    They were expecting less people? I was expecting more! I think the weather kept some people away.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Well In gotta admit that my 15,000 prediction might have been wishful thinking. Our group was down 75% due to the weather - went on my own. Softc@cks!!

Anyone who doubts Yak and Jimmy are our best 9/10 combo look no further than last night. The boys lost their way when they were moved.

Couple of beers Jargan? That was the disappointment of the night - only Hann Light on sale. The only thing weaker than the beer was the reason. According to the bar staff they usually sell midstrengths and are licensed that way. But the boss said they had too much Hahn Light left so he wanted to get rid of it.

Bet that only happened in the cheap seats.

vCash
    I think the weather was the big thing.

I was home sick from uni yesterday with a nasty cold and so was tempted to stay home in my nice warm bed and just read about it on TWF.

But OMC convinced me that this was history in the making and I would kick myself if I missed it so I rugged up in warm clothes, his force waterproof jacket which was about a million sizes too big for me, and a beanie and we braved the elements to watch some quality rugby.

I'd say that given this victory and some better weather would see the crowd at least double.

Here's hoping.

I made Happy sad...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would like to see the ground full of

and sell outs for the Finals...

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 11-08-07 at 13:38.

vCash
    I'm with you Gerry... can't wait for the jerseys to arrive.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Only Hahn Light? Must've been the cheap seats!! As reported rovingly from the ground, it was full strength only in the Grandstand (as well as TEF's G&Ts!!!). Very civilised!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Very civilised!!"

I take it you mean the bar choice rather than TEF there Jedi

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.