Thread: Gilbert ready for Croft test

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Gilbert ready for Croft test

Gilbert ready for Croft test

Tuesday, August 14, 2007, QRU

MFS Aces young gun AJ Gilbert will square off with Melbourne Rebels skipper David Croft in the top of the table showdown at Olympic Park on Saturday night in round two of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

Gilbert was a standout performer for the MFS Aces in their 27-21 win over the Wilson HTM Tornadoes on the weekend and will use Saturday night’s MARC clash with Rebels rival and fellow QR Queensland Reds squad member David Croft, as a yardstick of his progress.

The 21 year-old dreadlocked tyro has been marking the days off the calendar until his duel with Croft, who has played 103 games for his State and five Tests for the Wallabies.

“I’ve actually been looking forward to this game for a long time, so it’s sort of been a bit of a countdown for me and I’m really looking forward to the challenge this weekend.

“Crofty’s looked after me in a lot of ways; he’s helped me with the open side role, he’s given great insight… he’s just a fierce competitor and I’m really looking forward to going at him,” said Gilbert, who made his Investec Super 14 debut for the Reds against the Bulls this year.

Croft was instrumental in the Rebels five-point upset of competition fancies the Canberra Vikings and it’s set to be a case of ‘young bull versus old bull’ when Gilbert tackles his Reds mentor at the breakdown on Saturday night.

“I’ve got a feeling he’ll be coming after me so it’s going to be a matter of whether I can step up to him.

“He’s still renowned as one of the toughest and fiercest open sides in the Super 14,” said Gilbert, who is serving an apprenticeship in the Reds squad under Croft and Tornadoes captain Tom McVerry.

Gilbert was the Aces everywhere man in a busy display against the Tornadoes including a determined try set up by Wallaby maestro Chris Latham.

“In the back of mind I wanted to follow Latho (Latham) around all day because he creates things and I got the pass off him and was determined to get to the line,” he said.

Gilbert was relieved to get through the game after returning from an ankle injury he suffered playing for the Australian Sevens team, but admitted to being fatigued after the “very physical” local derby with the Tornadoes.

“Because of the new rules everyone seems to be having a go at the ball, so it’s so much more physical and draining at the breakdown,” he said.

MFS Aces coach John Boe described Gilbert as “a real talent” and said the MARC would be an ideal opportunity for the rookie flanker to take his game to the next level.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I liked what I saw of Gilbert. How many games has he played for the Reds?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    6 for Queensland ('06 APC) and 1 for the Reds in SA '07.
    He's also been in the victorious Under 19s in 2006 and played for the Australian Sevens.
    Unfortunately for him he has to wait for the unlikely occurrence of David Croft (81 consecutive matches out of 103!) missing a match to get a Reds call up!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.