Thread: Knuckles Leaves the Higher Moral Ground

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Knuckles Leaves the Higher Moral Ground

Go ruin the Boks like the Reds

By Peter Badel
    August 19, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has blasted Eddie Jones for joining South Africa, saying he hopes Jones makes a mess of the Springbok's rugby World Cup campaign like he destroyed Queensland.

Connolly also broke his silence on the Wallabies coaching debate by urging the ARU to show faith in a home-grown product as New Zealander Robbie Deans firms for the job.

The Wallabies head to France on Thursday in a confident mood, with Connolly insisting the squad would settle for nothing less than winning the World Cup.

But he expressed his disappointment in Jones, who was unveiled last month as South Africa's technical adviser for the World Cup after he took Australia to the cup final in 2003, losing to England in extra time.

Jones quit Queensland in May after a disastrous Super 14 season in which the beleaguered Reds won two of 13 games and finished with the wooden spoon.

"I hope Eddie helps South Africa the way he helped Queensland," Connolly said.

"As a professional coach, I guess he can go where he wants. But, to me, it's about doing what's right. Underpinning that is your qualities as a man and stuff you live by.

"I would doubt if a lot of other people would do what Eddie has done. I couldn't imagine a former Wallaby coach like Rod Macqueen doing it. I wouldn't do it in the short term. I wouldn't have touched it."

Connolly and Jones have been at loggerheads for most of the year, going back to when Reds fullback Chris Latham injured his knee at state training, putting him on the sidelines for most of the domestic season.

Queensland's Connolly replaced Jones as Wallabies coach last season and clearly the passage of time has not thawed their frosty relationship.

Defending his decision last month, Jones said he could not single-handedly plot Australia's downfall in France because he didn't have an intimate knowledge of the Wallabies set-up under Connolly.

But Connolly was dismayed by the inference Jones is clueless about the structures underpinning Australia's quest for a third Webb Ellis trophy.

Jones was sacked in December of 2005 after four years in charge of the Wallabies. He guided the national outfit to 33 wins from 57 matches and knows the talent of Wallabies spearheads George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Matt Giteau, Chris Latham and skipper Stirling Mortlock.

"Eddie has his reasons (for assisting the Springboks) but the fact is, it is helpful when you have intimate knowledge of the players," Connolly said.

"Eddie has coached the Wallabies not so long ago. He will give insights to South Africa. He can affect the outcome of his national team. They would be benefitting from Eddie, I have no doubt."

Asked if he believed Jones accepted the post to spite Connolly, the Wallabies coach said: "I was always a bit of a supporter of Eddie through my columns. I don't think our relationship had anything to do with it."

With Connolly to vacate the Wallabies post after the World Cup, the man known as "Knuckles" maintained his preference was for a local coach to succeed him.

"I would support whatever decision the ARU made. But personally, I would like to see an Aussie get the job," he said.

"I was offered the Ireland job in 1996 and I knocked it back because the interest is not the same coaching another country.

"Can you imagine an Englishman or a New Zealander standing there singing our national anthem?

"In terms of coaching and development, the quality of Australian coaches is very good. We have several who are up to it. My personal hope is that an Australian will get the job."

While the All Blacks are raging favourites to win the World Cup, Connolly said the Wallabies could not be more confident as they prepared to leave for France.

"There is not a single doubt in our minds that we are good enough to beat the All Blacks," he said.

"There is not a lot between the teams, as the last four encounters have shown. We played all the rugby the last time we met. They played good field position and banged it into the corners.

"We respect them greatly - but we don't fear them. We want to win, that's it.

"We won't settle for anything else. We won't draw a line in the sand short of the prize."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    "I hope Eddie helps South Africa the way he helped Queensland," Connolly said.
    Oh dear...there are just some things that should be thought and never said...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    "Eddie has coached the Wallabies not so long ago. He will give insights to South Africa. He can affect the outcome of his national team. They would be benefitting from Eddie, I have no doubt."

Defending his decision last month, Jones said he could not single-handedly plot Australia's downfall in France because he didn't have an intimate knowledge of the Wallabies set-up under Connolly.
    I have to say i'm more inclined to agree with Eddie on this one. Whilst he does know Greegs, Bernie, Gits and Sterlo's games very well, they've all changed and developed over the last few years and there's also a some new combinations and players there that he doesn't know. I don't think he could offer them much that any well trained eye couldn't see from watching the Wallabies play...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    hahaha well said Knuckles!!!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Although I seldom (the true meaning of the word - not the guy that orders the Spirit Jerseys and only gets 17% of his request!) agree with Eddie, I have to take his side on this one.

A job is a job, we all need to make a living. The only new Rugby jobs on offer between here and Christmas are at the World Cup and his country (rightly) doesn't want him. If he was leaving the Wallabies camp to go work for SA then yes, the comments are justified. But to criticise his efforts at Queensland with a seriously hideous injury toll in this season is a little unfair.

vCash
    I, for a change, have got no comment to make in relation to this tirade against Eddie, other than to say (the comments) are due more likely to constant questioning and frustration at this continual line of questioning in relation to eddie, and not a personal attack at all...And no, i am not going soft on eddie, i just feel that he can do what he wants now he has left oz...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    and its only 8:52am

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    If this was the first thing Eddie had done which could be concieved to go against the wishes of aus rugby and the ARU, I could totally understand it. But he's got history, this is the latest in a very long line of "screw the aru" sentiments. Not that I'm on Knuckles side for getting in on this cat fight either, settling things like adolescants with bad judgment isn't the way to go.

vCash
    C'mon Knuckles, show us how intelligent you are. Announce that you are going to bring back Jeremy Paul.

vCash
    It's heartening to see the (tacit) support of Eddie on this one. He's done nothing wrong, it's not like he left the ARU role & went straight to SA....he did have that spell with some club side over East somewhere.

What's the difference between what Eddie has done and say, for example, our own John Mitchell becoming the Wallabies coach in time for the 2011 RWC? I'm sure most rugby commentators & pundits would jump at the chance of having Big John in place for the (maybe) defence of RWC in 2011.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    No Knuckles could be right about Eddie knowing the Wallabies techiques. After all - knuckles has basically picked the same team (after 2 years of doing not-much) so maybe he's just running Eddies old team plays aswell.

That way he hasn't had to think of anything at all !
    Which sums up my opinion of his "coaching" contribution.

vCash
    So what's Knuckles going to do after the world cup? Put his feet up in retirement or look to get another coaching role somewhere in the world?

I don't recall any fuss in Wales when Graham Henry left their to become the AB's coach......Wales must be sick of him divulging all their secret plays & techniques.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    GH coaching the AB's didn't work anyway should have stayed in Wales.