Thread: O'Neill's words lost in translation

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Neill's words lost in translation

O'Neill's words lost in translation

August 26, 2007

John O'Neill says New Zealand rugby bosses think he's a "lunatic" and "mad".

But the boss of Australian rugby says he takes no offence and thinks his reputation as a loose cannon could even help repair trans-Tasman rugby relations.

"I know I drive the New Zealand Rugby Union mad at times," he said.

"[NZRU deputy chief executive] Steve Tew had reminded me of that since I have come back," he said, referring to his return from a stint in charge of Australian soccer.

"But I don't throw hand grenades across the ditch with the view of causing problems. It's not that I harbour any malcontent. It's just the way I am."

O'Neill started his second stint as head of Australian rugby earlier this year. He's been greeted as a breath of fresh air by his supporters.

His reception in New Zealand, which he described as mixed, has left him undeterred.

"It's in my nature to be a bit provocative and that's not such a bad thing because sometimes the NZRU comes at things very conservatively," he explains.

"I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.

"But if you have the NZRU coming at things a little conservatively, and me from the other end of the spectrum, you usually meet in the middle.

"[The NZRU] might say 'Hold on John, that's bloody crazy', and it might well be.

"But if I start with something like a Super 20 as a crazy idea and say 'Shoot that down', we might end up with a balanced view that works for all parties."

O'Neill says his views, expressed in the Australian media, are often lost in translation when they hit the presses in New Zealand.

"Yes, the NZRU say what the hell are we going to do with this lunatic across the Tasman. But I have to pull different levers across here. I'm not sure they are necessarily sympathetic, but I think they understand that now."

O'Neill says relations between the ARU and NZRU are thawing after the fiasco over hosting rights for the 2003 World Cup and the ARU's support of Japan's bid to host the 2011 tournament.

O'Neill is at his irrepressible best in his autobiography It's Only A Game. In the rollicking read, several Kiwi rugby administrators are painted in a particularly unflattering light. David Moffett comes off worst.

O'Neill reveals the former chief executive of the New Zealand and Welsh rugby unions was given the nickname "the penciler" during the formation of Sanzar because of the copious number of notes he took at meetings.

Sunday Star Times

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think alot of Rugby institutions around the world have the NZRU problem of too many old school heads in top positions with not enough forward thinking to keep the game ahead of its sporting rivals and merchandising trends. If John can do this in Aust for the game, big ups from me, just needs to pass this culture down the ladder so everyone is on the same page.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Seldom the salient point here is most non Australian Adminstrators think O'Neill is a twat. Given the recent fiscal results and information coming out of ARU HQ would have to agree.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't exactly follow what you are saying there Jethro. You certainly can't blame O'Neill for the current fiscal situation of the ARU. The major losses are down to a) getting rid of the driftwood within the ARU and restructuring after a change of CEO and b) the poor form of QLD/NSW coupled with a second string Welsh and South African touring squad resulting in bad gate takings. So what if other administrators think O'Neill is a twat- I can tell you now the South African administrators are no better, and what about England? They probably won't make it out of their pool stages in this upcoming World cup- there have been come huge cock-ups there, and finally to New Zealand no body likes New Zealand anyway they whinge and complain almost as much as the poms

vCash
    I think James is an Auzzie!!!!!(try not to hold that against you) We will see who whinges and complains after the RWC

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I once had an in depth chat with an ex high profile ARU board member who confirmed that John O'Neil has NO friends on boards around the world, not even the iRB have a good word to say about him. BUT he is an fantasic sports administrator, he wasn't appointed by a popularity poll (well not exactly)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes the InnForcer has some good inside info. O'Neil has never had the 'respect' of rugby stalwarts - but he is a V good CEO. I was surprised when he came back, and it looks like the long knives are already being sharpened.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    My high ranking sauce also said that JO'N will bring a united front to the ARU in preperation and throughout the RWC and then watch the fireworks!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    sounds juicy!!!

vCash
    O'Neill at it again, this guy really is a pillock of the "only in Australia" sort.

The big fella and his minions in the ARU bunker have been doing some indepth analysis of the situation Aussie Rugby finds itself in. Verdict, announced to a stunned Sydney press conference Tuesday, the Waratahs need to improve thier on field results for the good of the game in the wide brown land. Seems crowd figures are down, and O'Neill with his finger on the pulse isolated the core reason for this being the recent results for both the Blues and the Reds.

Hope you didn't spend a lot of money there John, as all you needed to do would be go into a sports bar, spend $4 on a schooner, and the locals could have told you that. Sydney Siders don't support teams that are losing, just ask the Swans management.

Surprisingly Jonno had nothing much to say about things down in Ponyland or across in Star Wars world. Use the Force John, and maybe pick up a marketing tip or three.

Having shocked the rag writers with ARU analysis John went on to expound on his belief that a hybrid ARC and ANZC competition would be in the best interests of the game. That stunned silence you are hearing is from across the ditch btw, John let your fingers do the walking there. Seems to get things rolling a trans tasman competition is the way to go according to the ARU brains trust.

Might just be me, but think if they added a Saffa team or three they might be onto something ... oh hang about we already have that competition ... psst John it's called Super 14 mate. He must have forgotten about that or something.

O'Neill further rabbited on about an expanded Super 14, oops thought he had forgotten guess he thinks two comps are better than one, with a fifth aussie team or a Pac Island team based up on the gold coast. John you lot are hard pressed fielding four teams, lets not get carried away here. (Actually on the subject the kiwis and saffas aren't exactly in a position to take the high ground, with both countries having maybe 1 too many franchises each).

If a Pac Island outfit is to enter the competition then surely it should be based in Auckland, the largest Polynesian city in the World. As the Samoans demonstrated they can sell out Eden Park with little issue.

John the focus here should be on promoting the ARC and the Pacific Nations Cup. You have some mighty fine product right there, just letting the punters know the games are on might help.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    well said Jethro,
    I can't see a great value in expanding the S14 in Aust. teams yet. O'Neil seems to be wafting ideas around to see what floats at the moment.

But as far as the ARC : NZPC goes, I think a great event to link them would be a top team play off ?
    OK, so the NZ teams are likely to be much better at the moment, but in time the ARC will lift its standard and another notch in the trans tasman rivalry will be in place. Maybe, in a few years, top two teams could both play off in a double header (NZ host one year and AUS the next).

vCash
    I like the idea of the winners of ARC & NPC playing off for bragging rights but definitely not a totally combined tournament.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!