Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA hit with $150,000 fine

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It would have to be seen as a very token penalty if the offenses were anywhere near as heinous as alleged - does tend to indicate that they were in fact just differing interpretations, especially in conjunction with O'Neill's comments below.

------------------------------------------------

"But he [O'Neill] said he believed there was a distinct misunderstanding about what constituted "protocol".

He said the ARU must work "with the states on tidying up some of the perceived grey areas where people think there is a bit of ambiguity, as to what is a protocol and what is a guideline and what is a convention".

"Protocols … they were in place when I was [last] here. We brought them in '96 and '97 basically to save the Brumbies," he said. "Because the Brumbies got away to a good start on the paddock, NSW and Queensland were going to flex their muscles and wipe them out."

O'Neill said those protocols included a player salary limit of "$100,000 to $105,000" and all deals being ratified by the ARU. This led to the creation of a standard player contract and a collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. (Except that I'm sure I saw $150,000 quoted for Lote)

He said "the only third-party deals were those approved by the ARU, and the only deals permitted [then] where those done with ARU-compatible sponsors. Much of the thrust of those conventions hasn't changed".

The ARU, O'Neill added, must "spell out plainly that these conventions are actually protocols and have been around for a while"." (Maybe it's just me, but actually calling it a protocol would have probably been a good start)

--------------------------------------------------

But best of all, they are still not rules - who can forget:

"Under ARU rules, the Super 14 provinces are not allowed to solicit third-party agreements, although sponsors are permitted to approach players directly. The ARU used its discretion to waive this rule for Tuqiri because it was feared he would be lost to rugby league."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by AndyS; 31-08-07 at 16:12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    "Under ARU rules, the Super 14 provinces are not allowed to solicit third-party agreements, although sponsors are permitted to approach players directly. The ARU used its discretion to waive this rule for Tuqiri because it was feared he would be lost to rugby league."
    And i think that pretty much sums it up....

There is a big difference between rules and protocols. If the RugbyWA had breached rules than that fine would be far greater than $150 000, particularly given O'Neil's insistence that this aspect of the game needs to be reassessed badly. He's a Nazi on this stuff.

Secondly, you have to note that RugbyWA decided it wasn't worth appealing the decision...this seems to be more indicative of the fact they're probably as tired as we are about hearing this shit and just want to move on and get back to playing rugby

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS

But best of all, they are still not rules - who can forget:

isn't that just so brilliant, when the ARU chooses the rulebook goes out the window. Why are they hammering us about this when the Waratahs want to throw the bank vault at Lote???

vCash
    you cop the fine on the chin and move on!

vCash
    true, i just think in some way it's a bit hypocritical of the ARU to hammer us about 3rd party payments etc etc after the very drawn out Lote Tuquiri episode

vCash
    We got of lightly - very lightly JON must like us - suspect he could have made life impossible for both G Stooke and P O'Meara - to the point where 1 or other of both of the gentlemen would have been forced to resign

I still don't think what they did was wrong at the time - but JON seems to have quelled (rather than eliminated ) the witch hunt against us for the time being

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And I think that was probably his intent, with a fine just big enough to make the various agitators feel like they have had a win.

They come sniffing around looking for more trouble, then depending on who it is, he should probably suggest that he has heard disquieting things and is considering an investigation into how Tahu was recruited, Ioane was talked out of staying with the Force or approaches made to Giteau outside the contracting period. There may or may not be any fire, but I wonder if any situation could bear detailed scrutiny - who's spoken to who, let's speculate as to content, what's been rumoured etc.

vCash
    haha 150000

thanks aru, now that is over they can forget about it and learn from their mistakes.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash

i hate to say it.... but we told you so!

I'm sorry, some of the comments here are way off the mark.

I think you all should ask the Force CEO and Chairman why for months they denied doing anything wrong; denied any breaches of protocols; denied making secret payments but today, when faced with serious threats, have admitted to a range of breaches and serious breaches at that. Quite an amazing coincidence.... I think its called a plea bargain....

It seems you are all very tolerant of management that waste RugbyWA's money. Thats $210,000 in fines now to date! Wouldnt that have been better spent with clubs and juniors?

A deal was done here to save RugbyWA's butt. If this had gone to an inquiry things would have been and looked a hell of a lot worse.

This is incredibly unfortunate. But the question needs to be asked of the credibility and competence of the senior people at RugbyWA. Would you trust them again not to break the rules?

This might be funny if it wasnt all so sad. But as they say about politicians, if you vote for them, you have to live with them.

Good luck.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who is "WE" Kimosabi?

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    We're actually rattling a tin to help the Force pay the fine. I think we've raised $4.25 so far.

vCash
    Not that it particularly bothers me, but i was under the impression that you would not be gracing us with your online presence anymore?

I am a compassionate person and i would hope that RugbyWA and our fine Force CEO and Chairman learn from these indiscretions and move on towards a better future for themselves and West Australian rugby in general.

Mistakes are there to be learned from and though it is hard to steer clear of unfortunate situations, i hope that with "luck" RugbyWA can achieve this and the supporters remain onboard.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    well you have 11502 vDollars in your account....you can donate here

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Hi Skiza
    One correction to your fair point. This wasnt a mistake. There were a number of deliberate, very deliberate in fact, acts of misrepresentation. I wont go as far as to say a fraud, but some may.
    There was no 'mistake' made.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So Force1....can you at least acknowledge that this is done and dusted and we can get on with supporting our TEAM....which is essentially what this web site is all about?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast