Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oppps.....there goes that coaching spot

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

oppps.....there goes that coaching spot

Joey busted for ecstasy

By Byron Kaye and Ian Horswill
    August 30, 2007
    ANDREW Johns has been arrested for drug possession in London.
    Johns, 33, was stopped by transport police officers at Kings Cross underground station during a routine search following the annual Notting Hill Carnival.

The former Newcastle, New South Wales and Australia rugby league captain, who has been working with Australia ahead of the Rugby World Cup, was found to be in possession of one ecstasy tablet.

He was cautioned and released without charge.

"Following an interview with police he was told the misdemeanour did not warrant being charged and instead was given an official caution," John's management, The Fordham Company, said in a statement today.

"Johns said today he recalled an unknown person pushing a tablet into his jeans at a crowded entertainment venue last Sunday - his last day in the United Kingdom following a six-weeks overseas holiday."

In the statement, Johns said: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home.

"I stupidly forget about the tablet and, instead of getting rid of it, I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted.

"I have been a very foolish person and realise I have brought great disappointment to my family, friends and many people, including lots of youngsters who have looked up to me over the years.

"It has left a black mark on my reputation which I will work very hard at erasing."

Johns, who is is believed to have been at The Church, an all-day club at Kentish Town popular with expatriates, was one of 206 people arrested for drugs possession in London over the British holiday weekend.

Johns had been in London for a few weeks and had accepted an invitation by former Newcastle player Billy Peden player to pass on his tactical and kicking knowledge at the Harlequins Rugby League Club

He and injured Brisbane, Queensland and Australia captain Darren Lockyer were guests at the Challenge Cup final between St Helens and Catalans at Wembley Stadium the day before his arrest.

- with AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    haha as if someone put it there... we all know that andrew johns is the most covered up drug user in league!!! he has tested positive so many times but it kept getting brushed to the side so his reputation wasnt tarnished

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Hawthorn are looking for players!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Johns admits drug use through career

By Dean Ritchie
    August 30, 2007

IN a shock confession Andrew Johns has revealed he was in the grip of drugs and alcohol throughout his whole playing career.

"I took the drugs to escape from the pressure and get away from being a football player," he told Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

The league legend also admitted that he is battling depression.

In an extraordinary about-face from his earlier assertion that he had no intention of taking an ecstasy pill, which he said an unknown person placed in his jeans pocket at a London club on Sunday, Johns came clean.

"I was going to take the pill for sure," he said.

"I'm not looking for sympathy, I put my hand up. I've done the wrong thing."

The retired Newcastle, New South Wales and Kangaroos star, regarded by many as rugby league's greatest player, was issued with an official caution by British police for possession of the ecstasy tablet.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said it was a distressing confession from Johns.

"It is an insight into the pressure he has been under for a number of years," he said.

"He should be given credit for his frankness."

Gallop also said he was "not aware of Johns ever failing a drug test throughout his career".

Johns, 33, was not charged over the London incident and won't have a conviction against his name, but New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma said if he'd been caught with the drug in NSW he could have been prosecuted.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) had been considering using Johns to help Australia in its build-up to next month's Rugby World Cup in France, but promptly dropped the idea.

Johns was arrested by London transport police conducting routine searches at Kings Cross underground railway station following the annual Notting Hill Carnival, according to a statement released Thursday morning from Johns' management The Fordham Company.

"Johns said he recalled an unknown person pushing a tablet into his jeans at a crowded club on Sunday – his last day in the United Kingdom following a six weeks overseas holiday."

In the statement Johns said: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home.

"I stupidly forgot about the tablet and instead of getting rid of it I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted."

Johns is regarded as a role model in the sport and he acknowledged his actions would disappoint many young fans.

"I have been a very foolish person and realise I have brought great disappointment to my family, friends and many people, including lots of youngsters who have looked up to me over the years," he said in the earlier statement.

"It has left a black mark on my reputation which I will work very hard at erasing."

Johns' manager John Fordham said news of the bust had been "devastating" for the former player.

"But he's working hard at getting control of all of that – they're difficult times," he told Nine Network.

Mr Fordham admitted Johns was lucky to have escaped with just a caution.

In Britain a formal caution does not mean a criminal conviction.

However it is recorded on the police database and may be considered in court if a person is tried for another offence, the UK Home Office says.

Johns, who was forced out of the game in April by a recurring neck injury, has been holidaying in Europe and the UK.

He had been in London for a few weeks, helping to coach the rugby league club Harlequins at the invitation of former Newcastle Knights player Billy Peden.

Johns recently spent time tutoring the Wallabies' kickers and coach John Connolly suggested the former halfback may work with the team again in France, once his NRL commentary commitments were completed.

But ARU boss John O'Neill said there had been no firm deal with Johns.

He added: "Given the current circumstances, the Wallabies will continue as is in France."

with AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ugh...well that sucks...my first thoughts were there is no way joey would be into that scene...looks like i was wrong

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Sad. And a lame excuse to boot. Good that he 'fessed up to being ready to take it, but still sad.
    A lucky escape for the Wallabies?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Mm i dunno...luck for the wallabies in so far as they don't need any more bad press but regardless of his indiscretions off the field he's a brilliant player...they could have learned a lot from him

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    he's just admitted to taking drugs for the last 10 years on the nrl footy show

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My understanding from the Footy Show interview is that:
    a) he still claims that it was given to him but now admits that he fully intended to take it.
    b) he had used drugs mainly in the off season since he was in his early twenties.
    c) He had suffered from the attention of stardom and also had suffered from clinical depression &
    d) the phrase "gripped by drugs" was actually interviewer Phil Gould's words, not Johns'. He never agreed or indicated to any form of drug dependence, if not including a very substantial thirst...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i hate hearing about drugs all the damn time!! all ppl seem to talk about these days is drugs, especially ppl my age... drugs in sport are so common now and it is ridiculous.

vCash
    the main thing in question has to be the drug testing procedures in nrl/afl, these players amidt to be on the gear, and some of them get caught and get 3 chances and some who are admitedly on on don't get caught. wendell sailor gets caught instant 2 year ban, stan lazarides gets caught 1 year ban, shane warne 1 year, mark bosnich 9 months. yet afl/nrl players continue to play on its all very suss!!

vCash
    The heads of the respective Leagues know that if they ban all the players that are on the drugs , they would have no sport to speak of and the public will have to follow Union!!!!!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seldom
    The heads of the respective Leagues know that if they ban all the players that are on the drugs , they would have no sport to speak of and the public will have to follow Union!!!!!
    thats in our favour im all for it!

vCash
    In the statement Johns said: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home.

"I stupidly forgot about the tablet and instead of getting rid of it I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted."

it was probly the 3 others he had for breaky that made him forget about it

<>

vCash
    To add to Burgs my understanding is that whilst he mainly took drugs in the off season he did admit to playing a game of "russian roulette" on occasion during the season as well....

This really makes me sad hey....there is no way I ever would have though Johns would do this. It just makes me wonder now if there is anyone out there in the world who isn't on drugs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast