Thread: Swans miss out on catching a Kiwi

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Swans miss out on catching a Kiwi

Swans miss out on catching a Kiwi

Luke Phillips in Marseilles | September 16, 2007

CROSSING codes from rugby league to rugby union and vice versa is common enough, but All Black Nick Evans almost ended up in the AFL with the Sydney Swans.

Five-eighth Evans found himself with a choice between pursuing a career in Australian football or rugby union after he excelled at both from an early age.

Evans played both codes at school, graduating to the New Zealand under-21 rugby team and competing against Australian state teams in Aussie Rules.

He was offered a trial with the Swans, and after spending six months in Australia, was left with a tricky choice.

"I didn't quite flip a coin but I did the old positives and negatives chart," said Evans, who at just 178cm is on the smaller scale for Australian football.

"My heart was always in rugby, so I decided to commit to it."

Evans has gone on to become back-up at No.10 to Dan Carter - widely regarded as one of the best rugby players in the world.

Since making his debut for the All Blacks against England in 2004, the 27-year-old has won 12 caps, seven of those as a replacement.

"It was really hard at the start. There are a lot of good five-eighths around," he said. "I want to be the No.1 and starting. My philosophy is that if I'm playing well, I'm pushing him [Carter] and the team plays well."

But Evans is a realist. He knows with Carter around, it will be tough to dislodge him from his pedestal as the world's best five-eighth.

"Dan's an amazing player," Evans said. "I'm aiming for No.1 but I accept that if I get to No.2 it's a pretty good achievement ... If I was born 10 years later, I'd be alright."

Evans will start in the All Blacks' second World Cup game against tournament debutants Portugal in Lyons on Saturday, with Carter rested.

"I'm happy to be starting against Portugal, that's for sure," Evans said. "I'm making the most of every little moment of rugby I get."

Evans said Australian football has helped him with his kicking and general fitness.

It's a summer sport [in New Zealand] so after the rugby season finished it was straight into Aussie Rules," he said.

"It helped keep the fitness up over summer."

Source: The Sun-Herald

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He saw the light! Decide not to play the messed up version of an Irish game!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    interesting article, by the sounds of he didnt have alot of trouble making up his mind. I didnt know it was a summer sport in NZ though......it was orginally conceived as a sport to keep cricketers fit through the winter, and it looks like its keeping rugby players fit through the summer in NZ

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Australian winter, New Zealand summer, same same really

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    very true burgs
    maybe there should be some Test match AFL between Australia and New Zealand, could be entertaining hahahahaha