Thread: Welborn Cup 2009

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Welborn Cup 2009

Found this tucked away on the RWA site.

WELBORN CUP

Named after WA's first homegrown Wallaby and Emirates Western Force inaugural player John Welborn, the John Welborn Cup provides a kick start to many school rugby programs throughout Perth.

In 2009 the John Welborn Cup will be played as a 10's Gala Day for Open and Year 9 teams with the finals of both age groups being played as a Curtain Raiser to the Super 14 fixture between Emirates Western Force and Lions on Friday 24 April.

All schools are welcome to particpate in the event which is the start of the school rugby union season for 2009. Nominations must be received by 24th March 2009.

For further information please contact Smarter Than Smoking Development Officer Sam Hutcherson via email at: sam.hutcherson@rugby.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Bit of a downgrade from being played as 15's before the Force home games. Wonder what happenned there. Funding cuts biting?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I wouldn't think so...the cup's paid for, and you couildn't get a cheaper curtain raiser than Schools rugby....surely it's something else, possibly that everybody was sick of getting spanked by Aranmore in front of a crowd!

C'mon the

vCash
    they have a girls gala day aswell

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Country Rugby has been given the curtin raisers for this year for Country Cup games. SW played a combined Kal/GS side last week

<>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckNMaul View Post
    Country Rugby has been given the curtin raisers for this year for Country Cup games. SW played a combined Kal/GS side last week
    I thought that was it for country games this year Ruck?

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    im not sure Bunno, but im lead to belive that GS take on SW as a curtin raiser for the Highlanders game. hoping ill be availible for that one after missing out last week

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Bit of a downgrade from being played as 15's before the Force home games. Wonder what happenned there. Funding cuts biting?
    Guessing Shasta, but I am tipping the Guvvo schools probably find it difficult to get a XV on the field at this time of the year but can scrape together a "X".

I still find it interesting that Welborn's name is used on a Guvvo comp when he did his schooling through the PSA system.

Maybe Scotch should pull their fingers out and go and win it on principle!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.