Thread: McKenzie shuffles his deck

vCash

McKenzie shuffles his deck

New South Wales has shifted Mat Rogers to full-back for Friday night's Super 14 semi-final against the Wellington Hurricanes in New Zealand.{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As pointed out in another thread, regarding the depth of talent in players crossing over from league, in NSW case they can use Rogers all over the backline, and he`ll fit right in...
    Unlike the reply i got regarding his defence, i believe he is an excellent defender, and the fact is, leaguies can tackle and defend very well, as that is all they do ...run up, get tackled, play ball, run up, get tackled, play ball. I think criticisism of league players defence is a bit too much. It may be true every so often, but no one is perfect, and the odd player may well fall off a tackle once in a while, but it doesn`t matter if you are a full blooded union player, or a league import, the point is it happens to all....
    Anyone who hasn`t missed a tackle before can throw the first stone in reply, as i know this will stir some of you up

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    frontrow, I agree that in general Leaguies have a fairly reasonable defense pattern but it doesn't always transfer into Union and often drifts into high tackle or shoulder charge territory.
    With regard to Rogers, opposition often target him when he is playing at Flyhalf and Commentators are always pointing it out too. I think he is deficiant with his front on tackling however, in loose play or at Fullback forcing a tackle into touch he is much better.
    With him it is more than a case of "no one is perfect, and the odd player may well fall off a tackle once in a while".
    Fortunately for the Tahs and the Wallabies his attacking flair outweighs his defensive weaknesses.
    I watched the Under 19 WC Final the other day and the thing that really stood out to me was the number of classic waist down tackle made by the backs on both sides, often dislodging the ball on ground impact. It was a pleasure to watch and I think, combined with the infussion of League players, it must be getting coached out of our Juniors when they get to the Pro ranks as you rarely see a "proper" tackle these days just all these League style chest to chest collisions.
    While you may tie up the ball you are not as effective at slowing progress as the forwards are in and either make a rolling maul or clear with a ruck. With a classic thigh hit the attacker is sure to stop dead and often the ball jars free.
    I think it is also the acceptance of League methods that has blurred the line of what is a high tackle or not. I remember being cautioned by the Coach after hitting a bloke in the ribs as he said any higher and I would risk giving away a penalty if the tackle slid up!
    Basically any contact with skin above the collar was high tackle territory and really frowned upon.
    Most of our current Pros would be out of a job if that was the case now as (with a few exceptions) they don't seem to be able to tackle low
    Bring back the "sternum down" tackling!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.