Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forcepower

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Forcepower

Its seems to be getting to the point where when we supporters roar some people are starting to take notice.

From Rugby Heaven and Spiro Zavos

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...733685685.html

Force's successful safari a good lesson
    Spiro Zavos
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007

ANALYSIS
    WINNING is hard for visiting teams in South Africa. The Crusaders came to grief in the Republic this weekend at the hands of the Lions, a team widely regarded as being very weak, even by South African standards. The Highlanders have lost both their games in South Africa, as well. And the Waratahs, after defeating the Lions, have lost their past two matches while trekking around the veldt.

But the Western Force are unbeaten in South Africa, having last weekend defeated the Bulls, one of the country's top two sides, to back up their previous week's win over the Stormers in Cape Town.

Last week, when I incorrectly mentioned the Force had won their first match out of Perth by defeating the Stormers, what seemed like the whole rugby population of Perth sent me emails pointing out the error of my ways.

A typical response is this one from Peter: "You mention that the Force's last weekend win was its first on the road. As a briefly suffering supporter I can tell you they actually haven't won at home yet. They drew against the Crusaders at Subiaco last year, which was as close as they came to a win at home. Their only win for the season was against the Cheetahs in Kimberley, after drawing with the Cats the previous week at Jo' burg. In fact, the only stat a Force supporter can mention in public is a reasonable record in South Africa."

Emails like that alerted me to the fine unbeaten record of the Force in the Republic.

So what is their secret? Part of it must be that South African sides underestimate the Force. The Bulls had a number of easy penalty shots at goal towards the end of the match against the Force. Each time Victor Matfield, the Bulls captain, rejected kicking the penalty. Each time, though, the five-metre lineout drive was repelled.

The Crusaders made the same mistake against the Lions. Both the Bulls and the Crusaders need to know the days of the relatively easy try from a five-metre lineout drive are over.

It is also helpful in South Africa if your goalkicker nails most of his shots. Stephen Brett missed a penalty right in front for the Crusaders early in the match. Peter Hewat missed a couple of crucial shots for the Waratahs against the Cheetahs. But Cameron Shepherd kicked six goals and scored two tries for 25 points against the Bulls. He scored 17 points against the Stormers a week earlier. When one player scores 25 or 17 points, a team is going to win most of its matches.

One of Shepherd's tries was a sensational effort involving a skilful kick-and-chase done at pace. The case of Shepherd, in fact, casts into bold relief the nonsense spouted by the supporters of Lote Tuqiri that he is an indispensable million-dollar man.

Shepherd now has two match-winning performances in South Africa in a row. It is difficult to pinpoint a match Tuqiri has "won" since coming across from league. In the 2003 World Cup he played splendidly in the semi-final and final. But since then his form has been patchy. He has missed tackles on the outside, he hardly makes a break, and he rarely finishes off movements by scoring a try.

The argument is overwhelming that Shepherd is a much better prospect than Tuqiri to lead a revival of the Wallabies (and so is Hewat, incidentally).

The Force now face the Lions in Perth on Saturday. Ironically, winning at home is now their hardest challenge.

spiro@theroar.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 20-02-07 at 08:30.

vCash
    Jeez - that was painful for him

Sheps better than Turquiri hope he doesn't become to expensive for us !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    What a remarkable turnaround, and well done i say, good work Spiro

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yeah I thought it was pretty good too, It's hard for the force to get much of a mention at the best of times let alone hve what they are doing pointed out as being right.

I have to say I dont always see eye to eye with Spiro but I was one of those that sent an email pointing out the error and he replied fairly gracefully and took it on.

Good on him.

vCash
    Good on you Nick

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Its seems to be getting to the point where when we supporters roar some people are starting to take notice.

From Rugby Heaven and Spiro Zavos

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...733685685.html

Force's successful safari a good lesson
    Spiro Zavos
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007

ANALYSIS
    WINNING is hard for visiting teams in South Africa. The Crusaders came to grief in the Republic this weekend at the hands of the Lions, a team widely regarded as being very weak, even by South African standards. The Highlanders have lost both their games in South Africa, as well. And the Waratahs, after defeating the Lions, have lost their past two matches while trekking around the veldt.
    But the Western Force are unbeaten in South Africa, having last weekend defeated the Bulls, one of the country's top two sides, to back up their previous week's win over the Stormers in Cape Town.
    Last week, when I incorrectly mentioned the Force had won their first match out of Perth by defeating the Stormers, what seemed like the whole rugby population of Perth sent me emails pointing out the error of my ways.
    A typical response is this one from Peter: "You mention that the Force's last weekend win was its first on the road. As a briefly suffering supporter I can tell you they actually haven't won at home yet. They drew against the Crusaders at Subiaco last year, which was as close as they came to a win at home. Their only win for the season was against the Cheetahs in Kimberley, after drawing with the Cats the previous week at Jo' burg. In fact, the only stat a Force supporter can mention in public is a reasonable record in South Africa."
    Emails like that alerted me to the fine unbeaten record of the Force in the Republic.

So what is their secret? Part of it must be that South African sides underestimate the Force. The Bulls had a number of easy penalty shots at goal towards the end of the match against the Force. Each time Victor Matfield, the Bulls captain, rejected kicking the penalty. Each time, though, the five-metre lineout drive was repelled.
    The Crusaders made the same mistake against the Lions. Both the Bulls and the Crusaders need to know the days of the relatively easy try from a five-metre lineout drive are over.
    It is also helpful in South Africa if your goalkicker nails most of his shots. Stephen Brett missed a penalty right in front for the Crusaders early in the match. Peter Hewat missed a couple of crucial shots for the Waratahs against the Cheetahs. But Cameron Shepherd kicked six goals and scored two tries for 25 points against the Bulls. He scored 17 points against the Stormers a week earlier. When one player scores 25 or 17 points, a team is going to win most of its matches.
    One of Shepherd's tries was a sensational effort involving a skilful kick-and-chase done at pace. The case of Shepherd, in fact, casts into bold relief the nonsense spouted by the supporters of Lote Tuqiri that he is an indispensable million-dollar man.
    Shepherd now has two match-winning performances in South Africa in a row. It is difficult to pinpoint a match Tuqiri has "won" since coming across from league. In the 2003 World Cup he played splendidly in the semi-final and final. But since then his form has been patchy. He has missed tackles on the outside, he hardly makes a break, and he rarely finishes off movements by scoring a try.
    The argument is overwhelming that Shepherd is a much better prospect than Tuqiri to lead a revival of the Wallabies (and so is Hewat, incidentally).
    The Force now face the Lions in Perth on Saturday. Ironically, winning at home is now their hardest challenge.
    spiro@theroar.com.au

I have never been a real fan of Spiro's. Until now, I was unaware of what a briliiant, insightful rugby observer he is.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Full marks Spiro!
    Well, I'll dock you 1% for the Hewat comment!

I have long held Spiro up in the top couple of Rugby Reporters for both his writing style and the fact he knows the sport better than most.
    He also doesn't seem to get wrapped up in the whole Rugby politics agenda of other Eastern Seaboard Australian Reporters, rather just telling it how it is for a Nation.

Keep up the good work mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    What a pill - now he thinks we have an unbeaten record. Makes you wonder what passes for research.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    What a pill - now he thinks we have an unbeaten record. Makes you wonder what passes for research.
    Unbeaten in SA, 3 wins and a draw. Unbeaten is vasly different to winning every game

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That's a pretty enviable record, Aussie teams tend to struggle a bit in SA.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Everyone struggles in South Africa, even the "once" almighty Crusaders have come unstuck there in past years of competition domination.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think I heard last night that the Crusaders have dropped a match every time they have toured SA?
    Maybe it was in the last x years, not sure.
    Even so, lets hope the Force can keep the record intact for a few years to come anyway!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I know you cant get to excited with only thre wins ever but with the Forces record against SA teams on the road and the Lions at home makes you kind of excited doesn't it...

I know we've all said it before but you'd have to think the Force could and should win this weekend.

Hopefully shake off the home bogey and ease the pressure of the 1st home win situation that just keeps getting bigger.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed Nick, just pissed I can't be there

This from Mark Ella's new website: www.rugbyexclusive.com

Force outplay Bulls

WESTERN Force achieved their finest moment in their short history with a 30-27 win against the Bulls in a very good game at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria on Friday.

The Bulls produced a typically powerful first-half and dominated possession courtesy of their big, steamrolling pack.

Their forwards constantly got over the advantage line and were able to recycle ball quickly from their impressive pick and go pattern. Fourie Du Preez was on song at the back of the pack and the Bulls’ backs also showed some classy touches with JP Nell picking up two tries.

At the break it was 17-9 and it locked as if the Force were in for a long night.

John Mitchell’s half-time speech must have been a gem and the Force asserted themselves quickly after the break.
    Intent on retaining the ball, but constantly shifting it away from the big Bulls aggressors, the Force produced a memorable second-half display. If Mitchell was behind this tactic, his players certainly did everything to support him.

Second rower Nathan Sharpe led from the front and his vision and distribution a few passes wide of the ruck constantly set up the Force’s attacking raids. Late in the game the captain also took control of the lineout (finally making some calls to himself) to stabilize what had been the poorest part of the Force’s game.

Cameron Shepherd was outstanding on the left wing in a display that showcased all the skills one could wish for from a goal-kicking outside back. His 25-point haul was reward for an almost faultless performance. If the Wallaby selectors were watching let’s hope they were taking notes.

All the Force players got in on the act with perhaps the outstanding try of the game being scored by prop Gareth Hardy. Once again the ball was shifted wide by five-eighth Matt Giteau and onto Hardy who held the inside defence with a nice dummy then distributed to blindside flanker David Pusey in space. Hardy promptly backed up on the inside of Pusey to out-run the cover defence for the final 20 metres and score a great try. It was no surprise to see the prop cramping up in goal after his efforts.

In a move he probably regrets, Bulls captain Victor Matfield passed up three shots at penalty goal late in the match to go for a match-winning try from the rolling maul, but the South Africans either turned the ball over or conceded a penalty.

It was an important win for the fledgling Australian franchise and provides them with two victories from both their South African games. Now they must get back to Perth and shake the monkey off their back with their first home win against the Lions next week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Good report i reckon, i am glad he is refering to the selectors regarding Sheps...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast