Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas begin to percolate for whirlwind Jake White

vCash

Thumbs up Ideas begin to percolate for whirlwind Jake White

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226058524053

INCOMING Brumbies coach Jake White yesterday made his first key appointments, confirming former head coach Laurie Fisher and World Cup-winning five-eighth Steve Larkham as his coaching assistants in 2012.

But with the former Springbok coach intent on running a small, tight-knit coaching unit, one that will speak with one voice to the players, almost certainly there will be no place for two other former players on the coaching staff - lineout boss Justin Harrison and scrum guru Marco Caputo - in the new Brumbies structure to take effect from July 1. Not that White specifically ruled them out. The call, it seems, will be made by Fisher, who will return to Canberra, where he was head coach of the Brumbies from 2005-2008, from a successful stint as Munster's forward coach in the Magners League and Heineken Cup.

"At this point in time, Laurie has been appointed forwards coach and within that framework he has to use whoever he feels is going to add value to the team," White told The Australian yesterday. "I'm not going to be forcing anything on Laurie. He knows what he's good at. He knows what he needs. It will all go through me as head coach, but at the end of the day I don't want to be imposing anything on him. He's got to start with a blank paper."

Since arriving in Australia late on Monday, White has been in a whirlwind of meetings with the Australian Rugby Union, Brumbies staff, Sydney club coaches, current and prospective players, indeed with anyone who might value-add to an organisation mired in its worst ever season.

Arguably the only significant person he has not spoken with yet is incumbent coach Tony Rea.

"I just don't think it's fair for me to be around like Big Brother," White said. "Not that I'm excluding Tony in any way, but obviously he has a campaign and maybe when he's finished I can ask him what he would do differently."

So rushed has it all been, in fact, that when White was asked whether Larkham, who is on staff as the backs coach, had been confirmed in that same role, he initially didn't know how to answer.

"Yep, yep, he is confirmed," White said after a pause. "I haven't had time to meet with him, but there is no reason for him not to be confirmed. Bernie Larkham is a legend in Australia. It's wonderful to have him working with the young backs."

White also confirmed that former Brisbane Broncos fitness expert Dean Benton would be brought in as his strength and conditioning coach.

And then it was on to a meeting over coffee with former Wallabies captain George Gregan who almost certainly will be brought on as a part-time consultant.

White admitted that right from his first interview with the Brumbies, he had made it clear he had no plans of turning Australia's most successful Super Rugby franchise into a clone of a South African club. But if that involves making some adjustments on his part, his timing is perfect because everyone involved in Australian rugby is also having to adjust to the ARU's radical restructuring of the game.

"One of the things that probably suited me is that there are a lot of changes happening in Australian rugby anyway in terms of academy system, in terms of the subtle draft system, in terms of player salary caps, in terms of five franchises now with the Melbourne Rebels up and going. It's a very different environment."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Jake White uses Gillard tactics in announcing Coaching Panel"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He might need too ... suspect that we are getting the Easy disorganised Brumbies - hope we milk it - Jake White won't take too much nonsense

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is going to make for a really interesting situation. As players, Bernie and George felt they knew what was better for them than their coach. Now they are the coaches, I wonder who they think will know best...?

If they still think it is them, they are not bringing with them the historical culture White professes to be chasing. If they think the players still know best, it is likely to put them at odds with the other coaches. I wonder how bad it might get if the ex-players act the good old boys and win the popularity contest, but the head coach is resting on his four year contract. I can see a real ego-storm brewing...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As a counter argument, if it just happens to gel (I can't see that happening though) it will be a mighty Coaching team with a heavily depleted Squad.
    I can't see much joy in the Capital for a few seasons.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Of course there will be joy Burgs...............only for the visiting teams

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Of course there will be joy Burgs...............only for the visiting teams
    Force are two from two in the nations Capital with myself in attendence

Just sayin

Champion
    vCash
    Can we play all games in the Canberra and have jargan's as our official mascot ??

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Apparently White was saying on the rugby club that the too many of the Brumbies players are 'the same'.

Good call by White IMO. Giteau, Lealiifano and Toomua are very much in the same mould. This is accentuated by the fact that neither Phibbs, White or Valentine are nuggety, ball-running 9s. There is no real danger there unless they get quick ball. You end up with a 9/10/12 like this weekend which struggles to average 85kgs for them.

Too many light-framed backrowers: Faingaa, Hooper, Hoiles, Salvi. The big guns the Brumbies do have, Chisholm, Chapman, Hand and Kimlin, don't play with enough grunt- well except maybe Kimlin. They don't play to their weight and don't do enough bashing in the tight.

The extended squad had 4 props who are primarily tightheads- Alexander, Maafu, Owen, Palmer. Only Yanuyanutawa is a true loosehead and he is pretty inexperienced.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Can we play all games in the Canberra and have jargan's as our official mascot ??
    Lets book a permanent seat at Bruce stadium for Jargs. Maybe measure up for a blue body suit as well.

vCash
    White will turn that joint around. He'll have to get rid of the worm infested timber in the foundations. Hiring the hippy as forwards coach was a retrograde step. Too much dead wood in that place. It needs a prune.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Needs more than a prune Rex. It needs to be dug up and burnt. A new seedling needs to be planted, one that is hardy, quick growing and can be pruned to shape!

vCash
    Watch the junior bokkes pour into canberra

White is the white man messiah of rugby in RSA

He's the pied piper and they are following his tune

The Force should have got him instead of that belter RG. He's a dummy

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    We'll see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It is going to make for a really interesting situation. As players, Bernie and George felt they knew what was better for them than their coach. Now they are the coaches, I wonder who they think will know best...?
    ... I can see a real ego-storm brewing...
    AndyS you can't see past the fog of the west...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast