Thread: Here we go again!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Here we go again!!!

Here we go again, Tahs and Reds in injury trouble even earlier this season!

Waratahs hit by injuries

By Peter Kogoy
    January 04, 2008

COACH Ewen McKenzie returned to work Thursday to find something approaching a medivac field hospital on the Waratahs' training ground at Sydney's Victoria Barracks.

He had four established stars restricted to light duties and second-rower Al Kanaar out for the start of the Super 14.

Kanaar, 24, who missed all of last season following a right knee reconstruction, has just had surgery on the left knee and is expected to spend up two months on the sidelines.

"After what I've been through in the last months, this is a minor setback, nothing more," Kanaar said. "I've been training really well and the right knee's feeling great, so it's disappointing the other one's playing up now.

"Hopefully, I'll be right by late February or early March, which puts me in the frame for the game against the Brumbies."

In addition to Kanaar, Wallabies Matt Dunning and David Lyons, along with prop Benn Robinson and second-rower Dave Dennis are all recovering from off-season surgery.

Timana Tahu, the Waratahs' recruit from NRL club Parramatta, is on the mend from a back-related hamstring problem.

McKenzie described the injury to Kanaar as a psychological setback after the work he had done to recover from last year's surgery.

"It is very disappointing for Al, he's a great player who hasn't played for the last 18 months," captain Phil Waugh said.

"Hopefully, he'll have a speedy recovery and we catch him not too far into the season."

McKenzie hinted at experimenting with his outside backs, opting to give the untried Tom Carr first crack at inside centre with Tahu at outside.

As far as the new rules, which will be used for the first time in the Super 14, McKenzie is tipping a more attack-minded, free-flowing game.

"It won't be just about throwing the ball to the wing all the time," McKenzie said. "As much as that is an attractive part, you have to manage the players' fatigue levels."

Meanwhile, Queensland Reds reserve halfback Will Genia is out of pre-season trials after breaking a hand in an accident while on holidays in Papua New Guinea.

PNG-born Genia was helping to move a refrigerator at his family's home in Port Moresby when the fridge slipped and fell on his hand.

He was able to move the hand but an X-ray taken Thursday at the Reds' pre-season camp at Casuarina Beach confirmed a fracture that could keep Genia out of action for up to five weeks.

"It was sore but I thought it was OK because I was still able to clench my fist. I wasn't even going to mention it to the doc," Genia said.

The injury could rule Genia out of the team's first trial against the Waratahs in Sydney on Australia Day, as well as a match against the Blues a week later.

Genia, who turns 20 this month, is the talented understudy to Wallaby Sam Cordingley at halfback, where new coach Phil Mooney concedes the Reds don't have the depth they enjoy in other positions.

Reds Academy player Ben Lucas will step into Genia's role in the short-term.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Good to see they are already lining up the excuses for another wretched season.

vCash
    My thoughts exactly Kenya! Is this an SMH story, because it smells like one being put in the locker to pull out at the end of the season.

Note the names on the Poofy's injury list, Kanaar, Dunning, Lyons, Robinson and Tahu. Each of them touted as being the silver bullet for the franchise and each of them with a chance that they might not live up to their potential. now if the front row get hammered as is likely, it was the injuries, if they get killed at the breakdown, Lyons and Kanaar are hurt, If Tahu takes a season or two to find his feet, it's because of his hamstring (or his back)

Load of wank, good teams manage their injury list raher than whingeing about it!

C'mon the

vCash
    The old Link likes tries to use the press to manage a lot of his responsibilities.
    Easier when you have some pandering journos, of course.