Thread: Henjak digs in for Test chance

vCash

Henjak digs in for Test chance

The West's article on Henjak..abit more meat to it that The Australian's

Henjak digs in for Test chance

6th February 2008, 9:00 WST

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=13

Matt Henjak wants to be part of Australian rugby’s reservoir rather than its “Euro-drain” and will stay with the Western Force until his Test aspirations are realised.

While others such as Chris Latham trade Wallabies selection for northern hemisphere riches, Henjak indicated he would re-sign with the Force when his contract expired at the end of the season in a bid to represent Australia at the 2011 World Cup.

“There’s always the temptation of the big money in Europe but I’ve got unfinished business in Australian rugby,” said Henjak, who was George Gregan’s scrum-half understudy with the Wallabies until flicked into oblivion during John Connolly’s reign as national coach.

“Gregan’s gone and there’s a new coach, so my priority is to get back into the Wallabies side.

“If things fall into place, I’ll be here in Perth for a few seasons yet. It’s a good environment for me and the Force look like being up near the pointy end of the table.

“Of course the money will be better in Europe but if I can see myself playing in a Wallabies jumper and get a decent deal with the Force for the next few years, I’m sure I’ll be in Perth for a good while.”

Henjak said he was a good deal fitter than when he arrived in Perth for an under-achieving 2006 Super 14 campaign.

“Back then I was younger and didn’t realise what was expected of me,” he admitted. “I came here underdone.

“I’m a lot fitter now, a lot, and that helps not so much with technique but with decision making. When you are fatigued you are more likely to get it wrong with those 50-50 decisions.”

Tomorrow night’s match between the Western Force and Queensland Reds at Members Equity Stadium is as close as Perth fans are going to get to watching Super 14 rugby as it should be played — in a rectangular stadium.

The contest is billed as a practice match but it is as close to the real deal as possible. Coaches John Mitchell and Phil Mooney have their strongest available teams.

The Reds are minus only injured winger Digby Ioane from their likely Super 14 starting side.

Other than the absence of winger Haig Sare, the Force team named yesterday is probably that which will open the season against the Sharks in Durban on February 15.

The Force side is as expected except for a positional swap between Scott Fava and Richard Brown.

Brown has been picked at No. 8 to oppose returning Reds captain John Roe and Fava will be on the openside flank against Hugh McMeniman.

Mitchell said he wanted to try Brown’s acceleration off the back of the scrum and Fava’s ball-carrying ability as next receiver.

David Pusey, frequently used as openside flank during the past two seasons, is Nathan Sharpe’s partner in the second row.

The Force have named a starting side only and will pick the reserves today or tomorrow.

FORCE: Cameron Shepherd, Nick Cummins, Ryan Cross, Scott Staniforth, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Matt Henjak, Richard Brown, David Pocock, Scott Fava, Nathan Sharpe, David Pusey, AJ Whalley, Tai McIsaac, Gareth Hardy.

REDS: Chris Latham, Brando Va'aulu, Morgan Turinui, Chris Siale, Clinton Schifcoske, Berrick Barnes, Sam Cordingley, John Roe, David Croft, Hugh McMeniman, James Horwill, Van Humphries, Rodney Blake, Stephen Moore, Greg Holmes. Reserves: Sean Hardman, Ben Coutts, Dayna Edwards, Ed O'Donoghue, Leroy Houston, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Andrew Walker.

DAVE HUGHES

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    When Yaks was the understudy to Gregan, I thought he was the next best thing. During the 2006 season, I thought he was over-rated. Last season's performance during the Super14 and especially the ARC has seen my confidence in him re-established. He's showing good field and off-field maturity which combined with his overall rugby skills (I hope his off-the-base passes have improved) should bring him into favour with the new Wallabies coach.

vCash
    If Henjak has a season on par with last year, he has to come into serious consideration for a spot in the Wallabies side. I'm hoping he's gonna build on last year, where surely he was in the top 4 scrum halfs in the country

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    he was good on saturday!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Thats what i like to hear

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    When Yaks was the understudy to Gregan, ...... Wallabies coach.
    Kenya, I was going to post to this thread and then I saw what you said....Pretty much says it all for me!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Tomorrow night’s match between the Western Force and Queensland Reds at Members Equity Stadium is as close as Perth fans are going to get to watching Super 14 rugby as it should be played — in a rectangular stadium."

Nice to see someone in the media saying it...let's hope it gets noticed.