Thread: Tahs v Canes Preview

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Tahs v Canes Preview

Taken from SARugby.com

Come Saturday morning an intriguing contest is set to unfold. Both the Hurricanes and the Waratahs have their own agendas heading into this encounter. Grant Shub previews the tasty clash…

After last season’s 14-38 hammering at the hands of the Waratahs in the final round, the Hurricanes will be looking for a dose of revenge at the weekend; whilst the Waratahs will be intent on getting their 2008 campaign off on the right footing. Two sides with plenty to prove in their opening clash of the season makes for riveting viewing.

The Hurricanes, who disappointed with an eighth-place finish in 2007, are tipped by many pundits as a side to do big things this season. Their exciting backline coupled with a world-class loose-forward trio could see the mercurial ‘Canes fire. They have threatened to win the competition in the past, but their best year came in 2006 with a silver medal.

The Waratahs, in turn who suffered a nightmare season in 2007- finishing second from bottom – will be smarting from their whipping boys tag and will be keen to put things right. That said, the team who finished runners-up in 2005, will have to start winning if coach Ewen McKenzie intends keeping his day job.

The return of the rested All Blacks for the ‘Canes will surely bolster their resolve and they head into this encounter as firm favourites. But that said the Waratahs have a host of exciting youngsters, among them highly-rated new winger and league convert - Timana Tahu - in the back division described as a ‘phenomenon’ by his wing man Lote Tuqiri. At fullback Lachlan Turner is also poised for another big season and keep a close eye on quick-steeping centre Ben Jacobs. Whilst the ‘Tahs enjoy a host of youngsters in the fray, their inexperience and lack of depth may hamper their progress. Without Aussie discard Peter Hewat at the kicking helm, their resources are sure to be tested.

Another ‘star’ who needs to prove his fiscal worth is Fijian-born Lote Tuqiri. He was virtually anonymous last season and now needs turn in star performances, whilst guiding the youngsters in the set-up.

Prediction: I’ve been good at backing the Hurricanes in the past only to end up with egg on my face, but they do look a more balanced side and have depth in key positions. SA Sports Illustrated magazine has the ‘Canes as 9/1 favourites for the title, while the ‘Tahs are 12/1.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    Knife edge call for me, The 'canes tend to start well and then lose odd games which they should win....This is likely to be a close game, which is why I tip the canes for it. If they're unbackable favourites, that's when they lose (ps TLH's odds seem to be from the NSW TAB)

C'mon the

vCash
    the canes usually start slow and build towards the end of the year dont they?

i remember last year they started crap and got better towards the end, probably had something to do with the all blacks conditioning squad though.

vCash
    I would have pegged them as inconsistent rather than slow starters. I reckon the canes are capable of surprising the experts by losing any match you care to mention....It might just be a matter of interpretation! I'd need to look a lot more closely to the last couple of season's performances to be able to confirm whether to argue the toss over this one...I guess you'd be saying Tahs by a fair bit tonight then TOCC?

C'mon the

vCash
    Tahs by a fair bit. Great defence by the Tahs, plus an absolutely gold moment when Beau Robinson put Jerry Collins on his back side. Collins took awhile to get up. Will have a photo of it soon!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Tahs by a fair bit. Great defence by the Tahs, plus an absolutely gold moment when Beau Robinson put Jerry Collins on his back side. Collins took awhile to get up. Will have a photo of it soon!
    What happened to Chook's 4-day ban on this site after every Tah victory?

(Don't worry Chook, it won't affect you too many times during the season!)

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    aww how could you ban him?? he's one of TWF's favorite sons of sydney!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Yep....I agree Happy. every word pure gold.....Most of it funny as hell!

I think the 'Tahs had a similar experience as the Reds...They played well....very well in fact, Forwards looked strong, Backs looked slick, Lote didn't suck! TimTam stayed out of the way and spent much of the game with a bewildered look on his face, but they looked good.

They did look good against a hapless opposition who gave them so much ball it was ridiculous. It's really hard to make calls from this weekend's Oz games really, Tahs and Reds looked Money but they played against crap opposition, Brumbies were undoubtedly the embarrassment, but they played against the team which was undoubtedly the most lethal of the round. :Force: suffered a bit, but played a strong sharks outfit and didn't suck too bad. I'd put Brumbies at the bottom of the heap, but the top three positions are pretty hard to pick based upon the differences in the oppositions. Can't wait to hear Tic TOCC and Chook respond to this, I'm sure I'll be bagging the mighty Eastern states franchise with no good reason again, but I just think the quality of the opposition, surely must count for something in a game of rugby.

The clock and Chook will probably just point at the ladder....fine, I reserve the right to point at it later in the season!

C'mon the

vCash
    As promised.

Not raising to that bait Gigsa, not tasty enough mate!

Awaiting Mardi Gras references...

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    As is Gerry by the looks of that shot.

You were always fussier than the Queenslanders by the way! those buggers would swallow a bare paperclip!

C'mon the

vCash
    It was my game of the round anyway, really easy to watch and i enjoyed it immensly...The force game was sooo frustrating to watch, as we were never really out of the race, but couldn't get our shit together...Christ, i even rated the Qld game as a more entertaining match...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    On tape, courtesy of greenandgoldrugby.com

[YOUTUBE]o_qbHRNYUms[/YOUTUBE]

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    This is better...

(Sorry it won't imbed in the post)

Last edited by laura; 23-02-08 at 15:30.