Western Force coach John Mitchell said it was the luckiest try he had ever seen in top flight rugby - but it could also turn out to be one of the most important of his side's Super 14 season.

Holding a slender 12-10 lead against a staunch NSW Waratahs with minutes remaining, some rare attacking ball allowed the impressive Lote Tuqiri to chip through and hope for the best.

What the Wallaby winger could not have dreamed of was the friendly ricochet off Cameron Shepherd's boot into the grateful arms of Lachie Turner for the match winning - and possibly season-defining - score.

That left Mitchell to rue the might-have-beens out of the 17-12 defeat, with playmaker Matt Giteau knocked out early and his battling side inches short from securing their own match-winning try very late.

And it also left the Force with a hard road to the semi-finals, starting away in Queensland next week.

"I was extremely proud of the effort, I thought it was absolutely huge and the character they showed they never gave in," Mitchell said.

"We created enough space, we were very deliberate and direct, and that created opportunities. This game was always going to come down to an arm wrestle, and we had an opportunity to win it.

"But we did not back our method at the end, and they got one of the most jammiest tries I have seen at this level of football. Sometimes you don't have a choice how to lose."

The loss of Giteau on 20 minutes, after his head collided with Sam Norton-Knight's hip bone, was an important moment - but not pivotal, as replacement Lachlan Mackay admirably took over the flyhalf duties to keep the Force pouring forward.

But phase after phase could not come up with a try, with Shepherd's right boot ironically keeping the Force in the hunt - until it inadvertently settled the contest the other way.

"I keep going over it and what I could have done differently, it just keeps going past me in slow motion. It is probably something that will play on my mind for a couple of days, but you have just got to put it out of your head," Shepherd said.

"I think we had a chance to win the game, we pushed a few passes that I think we should have held onto.

"It is there, that last play to finish the try off is what we are lacking. We are close, and everyone knows that."

It was also ironic the Sydney-raised Shepherd should be at the centre of the drama against the Waratahs on the day he turned down an offer from them, as well as the Brumbies, to recommit to the Force for two more years.

"It is something that has been dragging on for a little while, but putting everything together it is definitely the place I want to stay and play football," Shepherd said.
"I love it here in Perth, and have so many fond memories.

"I had a lot of things to weigh up with football and away from football. But in my heart I always knew WA was where I wanted to stay."

AAP

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/s...024973915.html