Thread: Mitchell hopes for future highlights

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell hopes for future highlights

Mitchell hopes for future highlights

By Tim Clarke
    May 01, 2008

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell will reveal his blond ambition against the Chiefs on Saturday night, linking current and prospective Australia stars Matt Giteau and James O'Connor in a bold bid to fast forward the club's future.

Giteau and O'Connor, both diminutive playmakers with flair in their hair and their game, will start together for the first time in Super 14, the Force vice-captain restored at No.10 after recovering from concussion and O'Connor drafted in to No.12 to make the Force midfield less predictable.

While a finals spot is mathematically still possible, the Force have written off their chances - with Mitchell saying the selection of several new faces and new combinations was the start of planning for 2009.

"Our vision is just going to take us a little bit longer," Mitchell said.
    "But there's two things you can do. You can look backwards and look down at the ground or look to where you want to head. It's important that we play well in the next three games.
    "There's no denying the fact that I was disappointed with the leadership at 9, 10 and 12 against the Reds.

"It's time to start looking at people that are actually going to deliver on a more consistent basis and play the style of football that we need to play to succeed at this level."

Mitchell said, while O'Connor's selection was an eye to the future, it was not a premature measure.
    "We wouldn't be putting him out there if we didn't think he could cope. He's ready to play Super 14," Mitchell said.

"If we were right in the hunt to contest finals maybe I'd go for a bit more experience, but why wait till next year? It's important now to get them started so ... next year there's no guessing."

Giteau said the lack of expectation could bring more freedom to the Force's game.

"We've got a mentality of nothing to lose so these younger guys should be given an opportunity," he said.

"(O'Connor's) not a big player, but he'll create a lot on attack and that's very exciting for a guy like me. Hopefully I'll get a bit more space with a guy like Jimmy outside me.

"He'll create a lot, defensively he's pretty tough although he's not a big guy, he's pretty committed and a very competitive guy.

"What he lacks in size he'll make up for with his attacking abilities."

With James Stannard restored to scrumhalf, Sam Wykes adds freshness to the Force pack, replacing Tom Hockings in the second row.

But the already altered Force side could change further, with both Wykes and Scott Staniforth troubled with injury. David Pusey and Nick Cummins are on standby.

Young WA-bred prop Keiran Longbottom's chance on the bench has also sent a message to regular starter AJ Whalley, as did Mitchell.

"We just think the workrate around the pitch hasn't been acceptable for the level where we want to head and it's time for AJ to shift and improve his performance going forward," he said.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Prospect
    vCash
    go the cheifs stick it to mitch that world cup wowser who once was a mooloo, but now hes a shite bald headed git

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farmajasnz View Post
    go the cheifs stick it to mitch that world cup wowser who once was a mooloo, but now hes a shite bald headed git
    Wonderful first post....been saving it up for four months since you registered right? Primo wording as well.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good on Mitch for standing by his recruits.
    If he feels the incumbents aren't delivering then give the future an early shot under these circumstances.
    It wouldn't be the first time that "young bloods" have stood up and caused an upset.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Good on Mitch for standing by his recruits.
    If he feels the incumbents aren't delivering then give the future an early shot under these circumstances.
    It wouldn't be the first time that "young bloods" have stood up and caused an upset.
    Yeah I think the Force's biggest asset is their ability to spot talent. We take them young and then by the time they are developed to their potential they will have spent long enough in Perth that they will not feel such a strong urge to go home while they have a starting spot here and its just so easy to stay with the status quo unless a significantly better offer comes along. And what could be better than more game time and an equal, if not better, salary?

Thats why I figure someone like David Pocock will stay.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farmajasnz View Post
    Hay to these comments, NZ treats there coaches real well dont they, mitch loses one game after a great record and he gets shown the door, and the same happens with Graham henry (asking him to apply for his job).. good to see you treat your coaches well.. seems like they have a brain, they come to the island where we treat them well (Nuciefero, Deans and Mitch are all here.. got any decent coaches left) ??

vCash
    It must have hurt him to come around to that way of thinking - he really wanted finals - Good on him for having the courage to go forward - a win would be nice but it's back to basics for us for a while.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    We take them young and then by the time they are developed to their potential they will have spent long enough in Perth that they will not feel such a strong urge to go home...
    I reckon the girls need to step up here - blokes live where their missus want to live. Come on ladies, get out on the trap! They might be lumpy but they're nice blokes.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I reckon the girls need to step up here - blokes live where their missus want to live. Come on ladies, get out on the trap! They might be lumpy but they're nice blokes.
    I'm sure Laura would happily lock Cam Shepherd down...

vCash
    ahahahaha yep we are best chums it is true!Sorry Cam Shepherd's girlfriend but we are chums now!

My offer to be his friend is valid to the others too, but only if they sign their contracts!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ohh I didn't know he had a girlfriend.