Thread: Why the Wallabies will win back the Tri Nations - John Connolly

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Why the Wallabies will win back the Tri Nations - John Connolly

The first thing that struck me when I became Wallabies coach a couple of years ago was the lack of depth in Australian rugby.
    The game has evolved in recent years. We now play in a Super 14 competition rather than a Super 12 and we play 15 Tests a year instead of 10, which puts a huge strain on resources.

In a World Cup year last season, two Australian provinces finished last and second last, which created its own problems. It also hit me how few people in Australia understood world rugby and what is required.

But it was great to see during the Pacific Nations Cup how much our depth has improved. There are now many players challenging for Test spots and the future is looking pretty good.

I believe we have a genuine chance of winning the Tri Nations. In the past two years Australia have finished second to New Zealand, with South Africa picking up the wooden spoon....(and so on here about the teams for the 3N)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Article itself is standard stuff, but what a load of history re-writing to start...

His position seems to be that he had no depth to work with, but then they introduced the Force and upped the number of Tests. These weren't good things because they "strained the resources" and were the reason the Reds and Tahs sucked in 2007 but magically, within a year, player depth has vastly increased as seen in the PNC (although no mention that the IRB had to come up with that comp, prior to which Aus A was almost non-existant). And so his successor finds himself in so much better a position than Connolly was ever in, so no wonder he is bringing in all these new players.

I can't help but wonder what resources he is talking about being stretched if it is not player depth as that has increased? But more to the point, if it was so easy to sort out the depth issue in Australian rugby, what the hell have they all been doing for so long? Of course, there is absolutely no chance that the players were actually there all along but were short-changed on opportunities to show their abilities and ignored by the an overly conservative Wallabies set-up that played favourites...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i think this article may be a bitter ex coach justifying why he couldn't get the best out of the wallabies, sort of like what eddie jones writes about ...
    i also think connolly may be jealous of the aussie robbie deans infatuation factor as aussie robbie deans seems to get what he asks for from the ARU whereas connolly didn't ...

vCash
    I like the thread tags

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I like the thread tags

vCash
    OMG if it's that easy to solve the player depth issues in Aussie rugby, then we need to have six teams in the super comp....let's face it, in 2006 the sucked the life out of Australian rugby.....in 2008 the situation has turned around and the player depth has improved to the point where we can now win the tri nations......either that or John Connoly wasn't the goods and Robbie Deans is!

You decide!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I blame the ARC for all this depth.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I think i am with you on this one Gigs 20

vCash
    This year we have two home games against New Zealand and one against South Africa in Perth. The Springboks have traditionally struggled on the road and it appears little has changed judging by their loss to New Zealand last Saturday................Australia should account for them in Perth without too many problems but the games in South Africa will be difficult.
    It appears Knuckles' memory of the Springbok record at Subiaco Oval is a little foggy.

2 wins a draw and just 1 loss.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's practically a South African home game at subi given the amount of ex pats that rock up cheer up a storm.

I'm curious... how many ex wallaby coaches opinions do any of us take seriously?

There seems to be a pretty small number of them...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post

I'm curious... how many ex wallaby coaches opinions do any of us take seriously?

There seems to be a pretty small number of them...
    All the reasonably sucessful ones seem to keep their mouth shut for some reason.

vCash
    Yeah I'd listen to Bob Dwyer if he said anything.....but look who we have to put up with Alan Jones, Eddie Jones, John Connolly....jeez! no wonder we don't listen

C'mon the

vCash
    I'd listen to Rod McQueen. What's he up to these days?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    It's practically a South African home game at subi given the amount of ex pats that rock up cheer up a storm.
    Do you believe that or are you just quoting the Eastern media?

vCash
    just wait untill 2010 when i believe the poms will be playing at subi. Hordes of poms will descend upon us then, due to Perth having a high amount of English ex-pats and the Poms general travel with their sporting teams as well
    Posted via Mobile Device