WALLABIES forwards coach Michael Foley appears on the outer in Robbie Deans' Test set-up after The Australian learned he is a strong contender to join the NSW Waratahs' staff.

There has been speculation Warringah coach John McKee, who guided Central Coast Rays to the Australian Rugby Championship title last year, was favourite for the job as forwards coach because Foley had priced himself out of contention.

But a source close to the NSWRU said yesterday Foley was still in the race, with a decision expected in the next 48 hours.

If Foley secures the Waratahs' job he is unlikely to continue with the Wallabies when his contract expires at the end of the year.

Foley was part of former coach John Connolly's 2007 World Cup coaching team along with attack coach Scott Johnson. When Deans replaced Connolly as coach after the World Cup, both Foley and Johnson still had one year left on their contracts.

The ARU decided to release Johnson but Foley stayed on, forming a new coaching team with Deans and Jim Williams.

* Meanwhile, Australia blindside flanker Rocky Elsom is confident of passing a fitness test to tour South Africa for two Tri-Nations matches.

Elsom missed the Wallabies' 39-10 loss to the All Blacks in Auckland two weeks ago with a foot injury.

He will be assessed when the team assembles in Sydney today and a decision will be made tomorrow on whether he leaves with the team on Friday.

Deans will be keen to have the aggressive Elsom back on the side of the scrum to combat the physical Springbok forwards, who will be without second-rower Bakkies Botha (knee) for the rest of the series.

"I saw the doctor yesterday and he said to monitor it and see how it goes," Elsom said yesterday. "It feels pretty good. It feels a lot better than it did leading into the first Bledisloe Test in Sydney (which the Wallabies won 34-19).

"I've got a couple of weeks to go (before the Wallabies play the Springboks in Durban) and I can't see why it would hamper my fitness."

The medical staff will also assess the fitness of fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper, who broke a hand in Auckland.

* Former Australia halfback Josh Valentine has left the Waratahs to join Western Force on a one-year contract.

Valentine will challenge Chris O'Young for the Force's No9 jersey and try to put himself back in contention for national selection.

After spending four seasons with the Reds, Valentine joined the Waratahs last year but ended up playing behind Luke Burgess and Brett Sheehan.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html