Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GC17 deal uncertain amid world financial crisis

vCash

GC17 deal uncertain amid world financial crisis

GC17 deal uncertain amid world financial crisis

Damian Barrett | October 10, 2008 12:00am

THE global financial crisis could force an AFL rethink on the timing of Gold Coast's entry to the national competition. It has long been considered fait accompli that Monday's AFL Commission meeting would rubber-stamp the licence bid by the Gold Coast consortium, but the issue is now set for extended consideration.

The Gold Coast's two major investment management firms, MFS and City Pacific, along with major developer Raptis, have collapsed in recent months, causing major job losses and the abandonment of significant works projects.

With this backdrop, the AFL has managed to entice just $10 million - from Gold Coast council - of the at least $200 million it requires to build a new stadium in the region.

Asked if the worldwide economic crisis had changed the Gold Coast outlook, AFL chief commercial officer Gillon McLachlan said: "I can't comment on that. They (GC17) have done a hell of a job and I hear they have met all criteria, but I haven't seen the report and ultimately I can not speak for the commission."

GC17 will make its final presentation to commissioners on Monday, confident it has met strict criteria established in April for AFL entry by 2011.

Group heavies John Witheriff and Graeme Downie will pitch for the AFL's 17th licence and leave with the nine commissioners a 400-page document outlining the group's business plan.

McLachlan said commissioners would likely require at least two weeks, and maybe four, to analyse the bid in light of all economic developments.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire was the first official at club level to warn that football would be hit by slowing economies throughout the world, and that as a result the game needed to "take cautious steps".

Last night, from New York, McGuire reiterated those concerns.

"I said a long time ago the world economic crisis was going to hit everybody, and it is hitting everybody," McGuire said.

"But, in times like this, cash is king, and the AFL has cash.

"At Collingwood, we support the AFL in whatever it chooses to do with this, having got itself in the right position at the right time to make the right decision."

Even in the absence of the licence, GC17 has appointed a coach, Guy McKenna, and recruiting manager, Scott Clayton, to oversee the club during what has been forecast as its formative years in the under-18 TAC Cup competition in 2009, and the VFL in 2010.

Witheriff, who could not be contacted yesterday, is expected to tell the commission on Monday he is confident GC17 has met the criteria, which included:

$5 MILLION in sponsorship;

20,000 "committed supporters";

111 SPONSORS, including a naming rights sponsor (with the AFL standard set at at least $1 million), 10 second-tier sponsors ($250-$350,000 each) and 100 business supporters.

GC17 will actually tell the AFL it has 40,000 "committed supporters".

The Herald Sun has learnt the AFL, should it award the licence to GC17, is forecasting just 10,000 members for 2011, and aims to double that figure by 2016.

In May, before the world financial crisis took hold, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told the Herald Sun the Gold Coast club would "cost the competition, over a five-year period, starting in 2011, probably somewhere around $65-$70 million".

That figure was based on the yearly dividend to all clubs as well as millions of dollars of extra annual assistance.

Demetriou said the club would need "at least $20-to-$25 million over a five-year period on top of what the normal (club) distribution will be", and even that injection of extra funds would not produce a break-even result until the fifth year at the earliest.

"I don't want to go there (how much the club will lose in initial years), as it depends on a number of factors, but it is not unusual in any business to lose money early," Demetriou said.

McLachlan, the league's executive in charge of the Gold Coast project, would not comment yesterday on the progress of talks with federal, state and local governments relating to a football stadium being built.

GC17 deal uncertain amid world financial crisis | Herald Sun

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeee

vCash
    Maybe they can put up with the same situation that we have to put up with over here in regards to a proper stadium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Maybe they can put up with the same situation that we have to put up with over here in regards to a proper stadium

NO way! The Govermment over there promised that if they got the franchise they would upgrade.........Oh, yeah I forgot.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

I don't think the QLD government actually promised the AFL that they would upgrade Carrara Oval
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

I don't think the QLD government actually promised the AFL that they would upgrade Carrara Oval
    Thought they did.

Anyway I'm applying the SMH code of ethics to this post.
    Never let the truth...............

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    i'm not to sure

I was going to look into it last night but couldn't really be arsed
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    who cares?

give them the team. i hope they go broke every season so the AFL has to bail them out until it to is broke

vCash
    In other news AFL, the deputy leader of the federal Liberal Party, Julie Bishop has been appointed to the board of the West Coke Eagles.

vCash
    im pretty sure both Rugby codes do my little redhead, as this attempted expansion is into their "heartland"
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    there was also talk of next seasons formula 1, season being cut back due to financial restrictions.....

vCash
    i read that, even some people in the English FA are worried about this whole financial nastiness, if clubs go belly up it will be the big clubs like Man U, Liverpool etc etc
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    somehow i doubt it. unless they cut back the air race, the moto GP/superbikes, indy and to a lesser degree the V8s and NASCAR. there is too much money to be made through sponsorship and product sales as a direct result of said sponsorship.
    its also one of the biggest international events to frequent australia, and thus a huge tourism event. so the govt will be keen to see that it goes ahead.

plus this year even after the negative trends in international markets. sponsors still gave enough money for singapore to spend something like 25mil on barricades and lighing for the night race 2 weeks ago, on a circut that had to be completley removed 36(i think) hours after the end of the race so normal traffic could resume.

i dont see it slowing. its too big. the govt wont risk it because they dont want to risk loosing it.

vCash
    i dont think sporting events. espically the football(soccer) will fail. people are always going to go to games and get memberships. espically in europe. the sport is too big for it to die

vCash
    The GP in Melbourne has run at a loss almost every year since it was taken from Adelaide. Most croweaters are happy to see the Victorian residents pay the price of propping up this event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast