Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sam exit will open door for Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sam exit will open door for Mitchell

Sam exit will open door for Mitchell

Rupert Guinness | February 25, 2009

NSW fullback Sam Norton-Knight has revealed he is set to join the Cardiff Blues in Wales, clearing the path for the Waratahs to (attempt to) recruit Drew Mitchell from the Western Force.

Norton-Knight, 25, is yet to put pen to paper on the lucrative three-year contract that Cardiff have offered him, but he hopes to sign it before the Waratahs' round-three Super 14 match against the Highlanders at the Sydney Football Stadium on Friday night.

"It looks like I am going," he said yesterday after being named at No.15 in the NSW side. "I am looking at a draft contract. Nothing has been signed yet, but we will line something up."

Norton-Knight's likely departure means the Waratahs need a new fullback next year and coach Chris Hickey said Mitchell was definitely in his sights.

Mitchell is one of the 17 Force players off contract this year. It is understood he is unsure about staying in Perth in the wake of Matt Giteau's decision to return to the Brumbies next season. However, the NSWRU will have to fight with their ACT counterparts to get him.

Competition for the No.15 slot at the Brumbies is fierce - Mark Gerrard has started the season strongly and Adam Ashley-Cooper was the Wallabies' preferred fullback last year - but Mitchell could find a move to Canberra more attractive than Sydney because of his close friendship with Giteau.

Hickey is keen to meet Mitchell as soon as possible and no later than April 18, when the Force come to Sydney for the round-10 clash against NSW.

"We would like the opportunity to talk to him. If he is interested, he would fit in very well at the Waratahs," Hickey said, adding that Force midfielder James O'Connor was also of interest.

Norton-Knight is at the end of a two-year deal with the Waratahs. He said a big factor in the decision to pursue his career in Wales was the opportunity to play five-eighth.

"It would be easy to stay here," he said. "I am enjoying the footy. I am enjoying it at the Waratahs but I am at a time of my life where I have to look at what I am doing. This is an opportunity to get a bit closer to the footy, the ruck, a bit closer to the game.

"I will get a chance to play 10. If I chose to move, that's definitely a part of why I am. I enjoy playing fullback [at NSW]. I am not bitter about that or anything, but I would still like to give myself a bit of a test at 10. So that is really what the move is about."

Norton-Knight, who moved to the Waratahs from the Brumbies and has 48 Super rugby caps, is not worried that his move to Wales will all but end his Wallabies prospects. He has earned only two Test caps since his debut against Wales in 2007, when he played five-eighth. And after missing out on selection last year, he doesn't believe he is in the plans of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

"There were a lot of guys picked last year and I wasn't one of them," Norton-Knight said. "I don't expect him to change too much on that front. "I don't see myself pushing for a Wallabies selection. That is a lot of guys' ambition for playing Super 14. If I can present someone with an opportunity like that, that's great."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    a shame - will miss his crooked nose on the field... that spat with tuquiri made my 2007

vCash
    I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He has great potential so good luck to him

As for Drew...clearly no one has been watching him play fullback...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    As for Drew...clearly no one has been watching him play fullback...
    No I have been, I was out to lunch when you posted that

Drew definately is not a fullback

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    No I have been, I was out to lunch when you posted that

Drew definately is not a fullback
    But hey, if the Tahs want to play him at fullback......good on them!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    But hey, if the Tahs want to play him at fullback......good on them!!!
    couldn't agree more

vCash
    Mitchell admitted joining Giteau in Canberra in 2010 was "an option worth looking at".

"A big part of my reasoning in coming over here was to play with Matt Giteau," he said. "It's going to weigh quite heavily onto my considerations as to what team I'll play with next year.

"For me, my next contract will take me to another World Cup campaign (in 2011) and I want to make sure that I give myself every opportunity to be in the reckoning for selection for that."

Mitchell said he aimed to make a quick decision after weighing up the direction and program of prospective suitors but denied playing fullback over wing would be a major factor.......

Drew Mitchell

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0223-8fi0.html

Player
    vCash
    Mitchell at fullback at the Tahs and Giteua at 10 for the Brumbies?! 2 great players in the wrong positions!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And there I was thinking this was a Waratahs sub forum about the Waratahs take on the situation, obviously wrong again...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It is Burgs... Mitchell is saying the 15 jersey is not his priority... So it doesn't matter if SNK goes or not... Mitchell is unlikely to join the Tahmans band of brothers...

vCash
    He started the Force with the promise to play fullback, but after the first year showed wing was a bettter position for him.

Some pretty tough competition for the outside backs at Waratahs for Drew, with Turner, Tuquiri, the guy who played in the u20 World cup I forget his name, and if Cater, Horne and Tahu need a spot other than centre they may also compete

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    He started the Force with the promise to play fullback, but after the first year showed wing was a bettter position for him.

Some pretty tough competition for the outside backs at Waratahs for Drew, with Turner, Tuquiri, the guy who played in the u20 World cup I forget his name, and if Cater, Horne and Tahu need a spot other than centre they may also compete
    You got some good points there, tougher to get a wing spot at the tahs... pitty

Champion
    vCash
    There cuddling mate in Valentine will leave also it seems....

Any news on James O'Connor thought he was meeting this week with the Force management for contract talks.

vCash
    I'm sorry - are we the ONLY people in the world to have seen Drew play 15? He is absolutely awful there! Why would you recruit someone to play their worst position!? Are the tahs REALLY that desperate?! Jeeezz.. Drew. Stay here. You don't have overpaid reTAHds taking the good spots and leaving you with the one you really actually aren't very very good at.. Please?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    during the wallabies tour, didnt you people want drew at 15?

i dont really think we need him at the tahs, i would like to see them back turner there full time, especially with matt burke there to coach him!

norton-knight had a wonderful end to last season after missing the first half with injury, will actually be sad to see him go, perhaps he may get in the japanese side for the next world cup?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast