Thread: Junior lauds Force's historic win

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Junior lauds Force's historic win

Junior lauds Force's historic win

Tim Clarke, watoday.com.au | March 2, 2009 - 11:41AM

If the Western Force have ever had a better win, then Junior Pelesasa cannot think of one.

Short on form, questioned about their unity and still reeling from the loss of one of the best players in the world to the team they were playing, the Force somehow conjured their first ever win on the east coast against the Brumbies.

Three tries from Wallaby Cameron Shepherd were the cutting edge the Force had been lacking, with Richard Brown adding a fourth try to secure a bonus point win in the nation's capital and possibly spark the season for John Mitchell's side
    While the Force suffered an injury to Richard Brown which could keep him out for three weeks, Pelesasa returning to his bullocking best in midfield was a sight to gladden the hearts of Force supporters desperate for good news.

The centre said the result was possibly the best in the Force's history.

"It is definitely one of the best wins I have ever been involved with, and takes the focus off everything else that has been going on," Pelesasa told WAtoday.com.au
    "The unity has always been there, be we also had the will - we just wanted it more than them."

The assessment was as blunt as Pelesasa's running on the night which gave the Force their first ever win in Canberra, and only the Brumbies' second home loss to an Australian side in their Super 14 rugby history.

Shepherd's triple confirmed his return from a horrendous broken ankle suffered playing for the Wallabies against France in Brisbane last July, after he had missed last week's win over the Cheetahs still suffering soreness.

Pelesasa, himself dogged by injury last year, said such a spectacular return to form was pleasing for the popular winger and full back, and for the team.

"A half-fit Shep is better than most, but he was on fire last night. It was great to see him back," Pelesasa said.

Pelesasa's form, topped by the tackle-breaking run that set up Brown's crucial try in as the Brumbies fought back in the second half, was more testimony to the Force medical staff, who have helped the former Queenslander back from a shoulder reconstruction, a broken ankle and a wrecked knee.

"The pre-season tour of the UK really helped get back from my knee, but I didn't want to rush it," Pelesasa said.

"I had a slight setback with a hammy, so I had to make sure everything was in place, but last night I felt fine."

The other return which garnered huge interest was Matt Giteau's arrival in Canberra - a year before he will decamp permanently back to the city where he was reared to be on of the best playmakers in the world.

Giteau admitted to additional nerves in the build-up - and a tongue-in-cheek assurance at halftime that his off colour goalkicking was not because he had defected prematurely.

Pelesasa however said his teammates would never have known.

"He is such a professional, it is like has been around for years," Pelesasa said.
    Brown, who damaged an AC joint in an injury similar to the one suffered by Ryan Cross in the first game of the year, will have scans today to determine whether he will travel to New Zealand.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...842296560.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think all three results for the Force so far this year have come down to the top six inches.
    The Blues match was lost in the mind after a solid half time lead, you don't just lose those.
    The Cheetahs we should have absolutely demolished when you look at the match figures but never got the points to reflect it.
    And on Saturday, as Junior says, "we just wanted it more than them."

I think this Brumbies result will have got a lot of shit out of their minds and focused them for the season.
    This next match will tell either way (not so much the result but how they play) but I feel we are going to see more "honest" results for the rest of the season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.