Thread: Possible break means nervous wait for Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Possible break means nervous wait for Mitchell

The Western Force's season already hanging by a thread, coach John Mitchell will have an anxious wait today as for news of potentially devastating injuries to his three main strike weapons - including a possible broken hand to James O'Connor.

As if a 22-10 home loss to the title chasing Sharks at Subiaco last night was not bad enough, the Force finished the game with Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell and O'Connor all in pain - with the teenager in the worst shape.

Having copped a high shot in the first-half which left the Wallaby wunderkind with blurred vision and memory loss, O'Connor finished the game with his left hand taped and a worrying egg forming at the knuckle of his little finger.

X-rays today will determine the extent of the injury, which added to a twisted ankle to Mitchell and a corked thigh to Giteau.

"My left eye was a bit blurry, and in the second half I was a little bit out of it … and my hand I will get x-rays tomorrow because there might be a fracture," O'Connor said.

"I am not sure (whether I would play against the Reds if it was broken), maybe there is a brace or something I could wear.

"But it does not feel too bad, so hopefully I'll be OK."

Coach Mitchell was desperately looking for the positives out of another disjointed home performance, which saw the men in pink dominate two thirds of the possession and almost ten minutes in the opposition 22 - but still came away with just one try and no points.

The former All Black mentor was disappointed with both his side's execution, and the performance of fellow Kiwi referee Bryce Lawrence.

His crucial call to allow John Smit's spoil on Josh Valentine - despite looking marginal at best - led to the Sharks' crucial first try and gave the visitors the buffer to be able to dig in for a backs-to-the-wall win.

"The effort was huge, and it is very hard coming off a football field when you have dominated territory and possession and we didn't get conversion," Mitchell said.
    "We had them in all sorts of trouble in that first and were very unfortunate not to be up by a lot more … and it is unfortunate that the team that plays all the football does not win the football match.

"To give them two out of the breakdown, and it was pretty questionable whether the Sharks players came through the gate - they were costly, and they hurt."
    With the injuries coming out of the Force's third loss of the year, next week's bye could come at an opportune time said skipper Nathan Sharpe.

"The result takes a little bit more meaning because of the bye next week and it is two weeks to have a look at the performance - but the good thing was that in parts that was best football we played all year," Sharpe said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/poss...0322-958a.html

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    i saw o'connor with ice strapped to his hand

0 Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    You don't run on hands. Strap it up. Get a needle.

Time to develop some local talent. Note to rugby WA

0 Not allowed!
    Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Makes his match even more meritorious.
    He was the Force MOM for mine.

0 Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sharpe was magnificent. Outstanding work at the back of the lineout, some massive hits, great go forward and he was forced to run from one sideline to the other by our crabbing backline. Sharpe gave it everything. The backs were woeful

0 Not allowed!
    Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    I thought J O'C had a great game last night- others around me (who so enjoy slagging off the Force at every available opportunity normally) were also commenting on how well he was playing last , especially in the 1st half- obviously the high shot knocked him pretty hard. Was the standout for the Force for my money- hope any damange was minor and the bye will cover any needed recovery.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    James was absolutely fantastic against the man I rate as the very biased best in the world in that jumper. Stefan Terblanche was off his game last night, he did some truly odd kicks that did nothing or went off the side of the boot, but James took every long bomb Steyn flung at him and every chased kick from Stefan and every high tackle that came from it with excellent skill and if Drew wants to play fullback we don't have a spot for him go to le Waratahs... OR he could stay and play 11 for us.

What is wrong with Drew!? I know his teeth and fingers aren't sore coz he smiled and waved at me while he limped off the field, but what the bloody hell has he done to his knee/leg! Augh! Fix it! Soon!

Gits should not be playing at 10. If BabyJames isn't injured then it would be a good thing if Giteau can't play against the reds. The media will talk us down, Dejavu, no Giteau, all hope is lost, remember last years game.. put JOC at ten and let the boy GO! Honestly, we are keeping Giteau there to win us the trophy for this year rather than move JOC there to develop next year but in the last few games he has not stepped up and if any other player was doing that then I feel they would not be starting continuously. James to 10, last night was one of his best in blue (I need to watch the replay though so don't quote me on that)

Towards the end all of these guys started kicking the ball right down Terblanche's throat... any idea why?!

0 Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    JOC had a great game. I thought that Pocock did well and Josh was okay (except for the times when the Sharks turned up 0.0001 seconds after Josh got his hands on the ball). Spanner and Horua could have done better (although Horua did get the headclash thing a minute or two in).

0 Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    I feel Josh is too slow get Chris OY on his delivery is so much more slicker... the back were flat footed and we need ball in front of them

0 Not allowed!