Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dunning to ARU: show us the money

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Dunning to ARU: show us the money

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | May 1, 2009

WALLABIES prop Matt Dunning has called on the Australian Rugby Union to make public what it pays its leading players to reveal any major differences in the deals offered to squad members.

Dunning, who has been sidelined for five months with a ruptured Achilles tendon, has not yet re-signed with the ARU because: "I think I'm worth more than what they think I am."

The Waratahs front-rower is considering overseas offers, and if he stays in Australia may even move to the Western Force. What appears to irk Dunning most in his recent renegotiations is that what the ARU offered him appears to be considerably lower than what has been offered to several other Wallabies forwards.

This has prompted Dunning to request that the ARU reveals exactly what Wallabies players earn.

In an interview with the ruggamatrix.com podcast yesterday, Dunning said there were discrepancies in the Wallabies' pay scales. He said if he knew that someone in a similar position was offered a higher salary, "you feel like you are less valued".

"If they are prepared to pay other people who are in the same position a lot more, and there's a couple of them, you say, 'Well, hang on a minute, maybe you want that person a lot more than me'," Dunning said. "There's no doubt there are some [salary] differences.

"I guess there is only one way of finding out - by publicising everyone's pay to the rugby public. Then at the end of the day there would be no debate … It wouldn't bother me if everyone knew what I was being paid. The general public think the players get paid a lot more than what they are anyway.

"The only people who gain any advantage of not disclosing salaries is the employer; not the employee. It might sound a bit 'out there' but I think it would be a way of helping the individual know what they are worth, and what they should get."

Dunning, who is expected to return to club football with Eastwood on May 16, said he could understand if the public thought players were greedy.

"But on the whole, rugby players aren't overly greedy," Dunning said. "The issue is not about being paid more, but what I am asking is in relation to what's being paid to other players. If you are working in any job, such as an accountant or lawyer, you want to be paid accordingly to where you fit into the scheme of things.

"I don't think anyone would like it if there was someone getting paid double for the same job. It's about being paid the same. The money we get is very, very good, don't get me wrong. I just want to be paid in relation for what I do, and what the person next to me earns."

Dunning said he was prepared to stay in Australia "for less than what is available overseas".
    "But on the same token, you are not going to stay when there is a massive difference in salary," he said.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...982346297.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome to the real world Matt!
    That is the most ridiculous load of drivel I have ever read from a quoted player and perpetuates the perception of the intellect of Frontrowers.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut man
    "But on the whole, rugby players aren't overly greedy,"

I could say something witty, but I think Dunning's done enough to make me laugh.

Thankyou for posting that Gerry.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    "If they are prepared to pay other people who are in the same position a lot more, and there's a couple of them, you say, 'Well, hang on a minute, maybe you want that person a lot more than me', - Billy Bunter.
    Just think about that for a minute Donut. The fog might just clear. FFS!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Big sook.

Boo Hoo.

vCash

MATT DUNNING

The Waratahs front-rower is considering overseas offers, and if he stays in Australia may even move to the Western Force.

MATT'S QUOTE.." But on the whole, rugby players aren't overly greedy," Dunning said. "The issue is not about being paid more, but what I am asking is in relation to what's being paid to other players. If you are working in any job, such as an accountant or lawyer, you want to be paid accordingly to where you fit into the scheme of things...."

Matt needs to grow up..has he not heard the term 'negotiation"..if he's not happy and thinks he's being under paid...he should sack his manager...

Last edited by hertryk; 01-05-09 at 10:26. Reason: Missed

Rookie
    vCash
    if you dont take the qoute out of context he said that all players and staff not knowing what every rugby players get payed only gives an advantage to the employer which is absolutely correct.

if he is in the top 25 players in the country then he has every right to earn similar salary. giving the guy crap cos you dont like him is one thing but if i did the same job as the guy next to me and got half the money i would be asking questions to!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "If they are prepared to pay other people who are in the same position a lot more, and there's a couple of them, you say, 'Well, hang on a minute, maybe you want that person a lot more than me',"

Wonder how many times his agent had to go over that with him...?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's nice in a communist society tahtahgirl but in the real world you get what you are worth now and in the future and very rarely would two people sitting side by side at a desk/worksite/whatever be on the same package for the same work.
    There is no context to be taken out of.
    He is saying he "knows" others are getting more, yet the amounts aren't disclosed, for the job he used to do. The facts are that he is not the first pick Prop going around in 2009 following a bad injury and others improving markedly since his last contract negotiations. He is on his way out and doesn't have either the grace or sense to realise it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    if he is in the top 25 players in the country then he has every right to earn similar salary. giving the guy crap cos you dont like him is one thing but if i did the same job as the guy next to me and got half the money i would be asking questions to!
    Which you would be entirely entitled to do. But what you would not be entitled to do is demand the same as a right - if you thought you were worth it and your employer didn't, you have the option to take matters into your own hands.

Taking Matt's argument to it's logical conclusion, will we see all wingers demanding the same as Lote and all 10s on Giteau's salary?

Rookie
    vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That's nice in a communist society tahtahgirl but in the real world you get what you are worth now and in the future and very rarely would two people sitting side by side at a desk/worksite/whatever be on the same package for the same work.
    There is no context to be taken out of.
    He is saying he "knows" others are getting more, yet the amounts aren't disclosed, for the job he used to do. The facts are that he is not the first pick Prop going around in 2009 following a bad injury and others improving markedly since his last contract negotiations. He is on his way out and doesn't have either the grace or sense to realise it.
    two people sitting side by side if they started at the same time and did the same job should be getting a comparable salary, if your not i suggest its becuase you need to adjust your attitude somewhat!

dunning might very well be coming here to play for the force next year and you will instantly love him just as you instantly turned on drew cos he is leaving!

as an employee of a sport in which several wallabies including players from every team have now questioned the aru in terms of there offers for wallaby top up contracts i think dunning has every right to question the system. if you want to call someone dumb for achieving while sitting on your ass having never been to a level near what he has achieved then i guess the future of australia looks bright!

vCash
    two people sitting side by side if they started at the same time and did the same job should be getting a comparable salary, if your not i suggest its becuase you need to adjust your attitude somewhat!

dunning might very well be coming here to play for the force next year and you will instantly love him just as you instantly turned on drew cos he is leaving!
    Actually, I don't reckon I'll instantly love Dunning if he comes to the Force, he'll have to earn his love, just like everyone else.

And two people who do the same job to the same level should get comparable money. I'm not sure Dunning can do the job to the same level as AJ, yet alone Baxter.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    RRG, I think you'd see the same comments being made about any player pushing this line, regardless of who it was or the position they play. We'd bag out Sharpie if he was stupid enough to come out with the same line, it is that naïve.

Life isn't fair and people are paid based on perceived worth, simple as that. Rugby and professional sport is particularly Darwinian - that is what competition for spots is all about. It certainly isn't the public service, as much as the ARU occassionally distorts the selection process by paying some players very large sums and effectively obliging selection to try and get some return on investment.

It is fairly simple - the ARU has looked at him and what he offers the team, then probably looked at what his alternatives are, then looked at the other players and what they offer and eventually made their call as to how much he is worth to the team. Their assessment may be that he offers less to the team than some others...c'est la vie, gives him a choice to make. I am pretty sure if he looks overseas, he will not be offered the same money as Carl Hayman even if he does notionally do the same job. I suppose he could go bleat to the IRB about that, but I'm pretty sure they'll giggle at him.

vCash
    if you dont take the qoute out of context he said that all players and staff not knowing what every rugby players get payed only gives an advantage to the employer which is absolutely correct.

Welcome to the real world of:
    N E G O T I A T I O N
    That is one of the things his Manager has to do on his behalf.....Puhleeese!!!
    If his manager couldn't get anymore..maybe he shoudl be sacked, or Matt come to the conclusion maybe he isn't worth anymore...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    RRG

You should like me be proud to live in a capitalist country, which this principle that dunning isn’t happy about is a core component of!!

You don’t by chance own a lot of red cloths do you?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast