Thread: Giteau rates Stormers star Grant his ideal replacement

vCash

Giteau rates Stormers star Grant his ideal replacement

Outgoing Western Force fly-half Matt Giteau has given targeted replacement Peter Grant, of the Stormers, his seal of approval.

With Daniel Halangahu this week extending his term with the Waratahs, Grant is the Force’s preferred playmaker for 2010 and the club used this week’s stay in Cape Town to personally promote the cause.

Grant, expected to line up at inside centre for the Stormers in Saturday’s Super 14 match at Newlands, met Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy on Monday to confirm he would not decide on his future until he learnt where he stood with the Springbok selectors.

Giteau told Die Burger newspaper at a Tuesday training session he respected Grant’s abilities.

“He’s an excellent player,” Brumbies-bound Giteau said. “I’ve played against him a few times and alongside him with the Barbarians. I know just how good he is.”

Force coach John Mitchell declined to discuss the pursuit of Grant, saying he would leave such matters to the administrators.

“We have a contracting committee to deal with those things,” he said. “I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to focus on the Super 14 series.”

Entering the second-last round, the Force are five points adrift of the fourth-placed Sharks and Giteau said the Force’s only option was to win with a bonus point.

“Our fate is out of our hands,” he said. “All we can do is play the best possible rugby. The semifinals are in doubt for us but there’s still a lot of pride about our performance.”

The Force will wait until today to decide whether James O’Connor will play at Newlands. The centre was a first-half casualty in last Saturday’s loss to the Bulls in Pretoria and is struggling with a shoulder injury.

O’Connor, winger Cameron Shepherd and No. 8 Richard Brown did not participate in Tuesday’s session at the Hamilton club.

Mitchell gave his players the day off yesterday, with many booking a dive in a cage to experience a great white shark at close range. Those with injuries were assessed last night and the match committee will finalise the side this morning.

The Force’s injury concerns are minimal compared with those of their opponents. Stormers assistant coach Gary Gold revealed Springbok forwards Andries Bekker and Brian Mujati, who resumed training on Monday after a spell in rehabilitation, were unlikely to make the cut for Saturday’s game.

However, centre Gcobani Bobo fared better and proved his fitness to enter the selection discussion.

Seldom-used flanker Pieter Louw will replace injured Schalk Burger at openside flank, where he will oppose David Pocock.

“Pieter is good on the floor for a tall guy,” Gold said. “He is also similar in height to Schalk, so he is a line-out option and we won’t lose anything there.”

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=140234

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I feel so much better now.

Thanks Gits

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Does anyone else see something funny when a player who is moving on nominates his replacement, espeacially when said player (in this case Giteau) will be lining up against the prospective replacement in Round 1 next year?

vCash
    Gits never nominated anyone...
    He was most likely asked if he felt Peter was a good replacement and he wouldve been obliged to be diplomatic regardless of Grants abilities...
    C'mon dont pan Giteau just because some Journo has spoon fed him...
    I mean what if he had said, "nah i think the Force are making a huge mistake in chasing Grant, hes useless!" what would you have said then? " im willing to bet it'd be along the lines of " giteau who cares what you think, you're leaving..."

It doesnt count for shit but i rate Grant, he might not be THE BEST 5/8th out there but hes better than a number of others that TWF members have been suggesting.

vCash
    I'm not panning him, it is a look from the other side of the coin, an amusing conspiracy theory nothing more.

"Pick him, So I can carve him up Round 1 next year"

More so, I haven't been one of the members giving Grant shit either

vCash
    I would call Grant better than Hangahu, I really think Rabbit will have a big influence upon who gets offered a contract, given that he seems to be waiting to see whether the Force can secure a world class 10 before deciding

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Does anyone else see something funny when a player who is moving on nominates his replacement, espeacially when said player (in this case Giteau) will be lining up against the prospective replacement in Round 1 next year?

I think he is after a finders fee........

and whats with the muddie is a part time supporter grab.... gish at least I support my home province...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    and whats with the muddie is a part time supporter grab.... gish at least I support my home province...
    Becasue it's true

And you will find that I am not the only person who is not from WA and supports the Force

Last edited by jargan83; 08-05-09 at 14:58.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Becasue it's true

And whats with your nuclear weapon Avatar? mmmmm

vCash
    grant is a great replacement for gits if we can get hold of him and convince him to come west
    he has a great tactical mind and plays great rugby

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    if he's as good as they're saying he is he will be put in the springboks squad, so he wont be coming to the force.

Champion
    vCash
    all pie in the sky stuff..... next week there will be some good news and this will be great carrot to become a EWF, Carra got a federal handout of $35 M yesterday MES and RWA next in line..........

vCash
    From what I have seen I wasn't very impressed with him, but the two games I saw were against the Waratahs and the Highlanders and both were horrible games to watch. Terrible advertisements for Rugby in general both the games were.

Can you judge a player on one or two games, I wouldn't have thought so. So effectively for me the jury is still out