Thread: New Force recruit hoping move West will lead to Wallabies

vCash

New Force recruit hoping move West will lead to Wallabies

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

May 30, 2009 06:30pm

NEW Western Force halfback Brett Sheehan is hoping the club can do for him what it did for the departing Josh Valentine - get him back into a Wallaby jumper.
    After just one season at the Force, Valentine is back in the national squad after missing out for two years.

Sheehan, who replaces Valentine on a two-year contract, made two Wallaby appearances last season after a 2006 debut but was not on on Robbie Deans' radar this year.

"It's a great honour to play for your country and everyone aspires to that when playing Super 14," he said.

"There's nothing that makes you prouder than singing the national anthem and I want more Test caps.

"It's always disappointing not making the Wallabies and I was half expecting not to be picked.

"I was possibly looking to go overseas, but another chance and the opportunity of a starting role in Super 14 is what spurred me to stay in Australia."

Sheehan was happy with his recent Super 14 form at the Waratahs, though he believes he spent too much time on the bench.

"You need to be playing consistently week in, week out and you've got to be a starter to be in the face of the selectors," he said.

Force coach John Mitchell has always said he wants a robust halfback, capable almost of taking on a loose forward role.

"My game is similar to some of the Kiwi halfbacks and John obviously likes that kind of play," Sheehan said.

"One thing I asked when I was talking about moving was whether they'd be happy with the style of football I play.

"It was reassuring to know they did. This was the change I was looking for. I can't wait to get over to Perth and get into it."

Sheehan, 29, believed the time was right for a change of scenery after five years with the Waratahs and is keen to get back to his home state.

"Conceived in Port Hedland, born in Geraldton, that's me," he said.

His father was a shipping pilot working the WA coastline when Sheehan was born, but the family moved east when he was still a baby.

But he is not the first boy from Geraldton to play for the Wallabies.

John Cecil "Jock" Steggall was born in the Mid-West city in 1909.

The son of a watchmaker, he played 10 Tests for Australia from 1931-33 at fullback.

"I'm looking forward to getting back and exploring the state," Sheehan said. "I've always wanted to check out my roots.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Hmm a little too much information - but good to see someone come back West and yes I reckon Mitchell's team will put him back in contention

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    He certainly seems happy to be coming over! Hopefully we'll meet his expectations, and he'll meet ours
    (But, umm, yeah. A little too much info).

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Well... answers a few questions- albeit some that may not have ever been asked.
    A great endorsement for Mitch and the Force in general- Want a Wallabies gig? Join the Force (or stay with the Force)

Champion
    vCash
    who will pass it to, thats the question........ Darudu. Although Grant looks like he will egt her as the boks have a oversupply og quality inside centres etc

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And were we to get him back into a Wallabies top and the 'Tahs came knocking again, he would...?

vCash
    Check to see if Josh Valentine is still a Wallaby

C'mon the

vCash
    The good thing about Sheehan is that he is hard. He won't take a backward step. If Mitchell can get rid of the stupidity in his game, he might go well

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    Not bad we have become the main supplier to the Wallibies a good endorsement eh?

vCash
    Could any of it be due to Deans knowing Mitchell's coaching style and values, and being confident in what he's getting out a Mitchell-coached player? Deans would do his own homework, of course, but maybe that knowledge might colour the evaluation?
    Sorry, I know they've worked together, but I don't know anything about the quality of that relationship.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds about right I reckon Tragic.