Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Western Force rising star may replace Pretorius

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force rising star may replace Pretorius

Western Force rising star may replace Pretorius

JUSTIN CHADWICK

February 6, 2010 - 10:08AM
    Force youngster James O'Connor, centre, could replace Andre Pretorius as five-eighth. Photo: Getty Images

Western Force coach John Mitchell has flagged the possibility of playing star back James O’Connor at five-eighth to replace former Springbok Andre Pretorius.
    Pretorius' one-year stint as the Force’s international marquee signing was cruelly ended before it even really begun when the 31-year-old ripped his hamstring off the bone at training on Wednesday.

While Mitchell is yet to decide who will replace Pretorius in the No.10 jersey, the coach threw up plenty of options, with O'Connor among the names put forward.
    O'Connor started his career at inside centre for the Force but in more recent times has blossomed at fullback in the Wallabies’ set-up.

While it was always thought O’Connor would eventually take over as the Force’s No.1 five-eighth, the 19-year-old may be forced to take on the responsibility sooner than expected following Pretorius’ misfortune and Matt Giteau’s departure.
    "We’ve had good versatility in our group," Mitchell said when asked how the team would replace Pretorius.

"If you look at the mix (at five-eighth) there was Andre, Sammy Harris, Mark Bartholomeusz, James O’Connor, you’ve also got Stefano Hunt.
    "So we’ve got a number of permutations there within the group and that’s always been the way we’ve built it."

One-Test Wallaby Bartholomeusz impressed at No.10 in the Force’s 31-12 trial win over the Reds last night to show he is a viable option for the role.

Pretorius has already signed a multi-year deal to play in Japan after the season concludes, meaning he will never play a Super 14 game for the Force.
    "We were really gutted for him," Mitchell said.

"It’s really hard for a player to experience what he’s going through. He’s taking it pretty hard but we’ve got to move on.

"There’s going to be more hurdles as the competition moves on, it’s just a pretty tough one we’ve got to get over right now."

Meanwhile, Reds coach Ewen McKenzie said his team’s big loss to the Force was a mere hiccup ahead of next Saturday’s season opener against NSW in Brisbane.
    Queensland were never in the game after the Force raced out to a 20-0 lead inside 20 minutes.

"Both teams have one eye on next week so the analysis that went into this game was limited," McKenzie said.

"I think we learned today that if we kick the ball away and give away silly penalties it’s hard work.

"There’s a couple of lessons there but nothing mind shattering, it’s pretty much the basics of the game that we didn’t get right."

Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper put in a solid performance in his first match since being charged with burglary last year.

He set up Queensland’s first try of the match in the 29th minute with a surging run and perfectly-weighted grubber kick, which winger Rod Davies pounced on.

But it wasn’t enough to inspire a comeback as the Force’s dominant forward pack and clinical backline ensured the visitors endured a miserable night.
    AAP
    http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...0206-njay.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If mitchell was serious at playing O'Connor at 10,he would have given him game time there last night
    surely?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Alternate Headline:

"Sam Harris, Mark Bartholomeusz, James O’Connor or Stefano Hunt may replace Pretorius."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And what the HELL!!!! is JO'C up to in that photo?!?!?!
    Perhaps one of the older fellas need to sit him down now that the Committee have left and "re-orientate" him

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    And what the HELL!!!! is JO'C up to in that photo?!?!?!
    Perhaps one of the older fellas need to sit him down now that the Committee have left and "re-orientate" him
    Boom, boom. Hoppa who?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    It would be a shame if Rabbit had to play 10 because it would take away the premium the Force would get from his playing in positions where his elusive capabilities have more value.

His favourite position is 12 which is far enough away from the ruck and scrum but where he would still get a lot of ball to wriggle away with. Next best would be at 15 to take advantage of open play if the good Shepherd is injured. Oz needs him to get a bit of game time there. Was good to see Shep back last night.

I've mentioned Rob Coleman from the Brumby Runners before but another possibility to back up Bartho until there is a permanent replacement is Tim Walsh. He was a Reds flyhalf in that year the Reds no.10s were falling like flies - and he succumbed himself.

He's been playing for Randwick for a couple of years and looking good in crunch games against top Sydney sides. Right now he is up with the Reds Wider Training Group - being asked there because the Reds weren't sure if Quade Cooper would be allowed to play.

He came on in the Reds trial against the Tahs and he lifted the backline and was responsible for getting the Reds home.

The Force could do worse.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

PS I heard that Stephano Hunt was playing for Sunnybank Colts in 2009.

vCash
    The random left field option for the day - Sheehan. I believe that he has played some 10 for the rats (no idea on how he went). That way, O'young and Swanepoel would be the 2 halfbacks with Justin turner as additional cover from the academy.

Rookie
    vCash
    PPS - Wasn't there some talk in JOCs contract that he could pull the pin if the Force didn't have an international class flyhalf playing inside him?

What I heard may be BS and surely he wouldn't let the team down for this season. But if it is not BS he could leave after 2010.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that was more to do with getting his signature rather than keeping it Lee, although at this stage of the "season" that could be seen as splitting hairs.
    The point being that goodwill was shown by his employer in pursuing that "condition", they can't bomb proof every player.
    I can't see him going anywhere at this stage, except maybe Melbourne, as he has senior players ahead of him elsewhere.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    oxleymoron

The Rats is my team in Sydney and I haven't seen Sheehan play 10 for them - or I can't remember. He certainly didn't run on as a flyhalf in 2009 and if Harris was injured young Kennedy would play from 2nd grade, or even Josh Holmes from 12.

Maybe you are thinking of Valentine - he has played flyhalf in Sydney.

vCash
    Why not just run a left-right setup with Bart & O'Connor rotating between 10 and 12?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    Why not just run a left-right setup with Bart & O'Connor rotating between 10 and 12?
    I would swap them about through 10 and 15. Mitch told Bart at the start of the season to focus on 10 and 15. Whichever one is running the attack the other one is sitting back in case of a turn over or joining the line as a second playmaker and varying the attack.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Grant View Post
    PPS - Wasn't there some talk in JOCs contract that he could pull the pin if the Force didn't have an international class flyhalf playing inside him?

What I heard may be BS and surely he wouldn't let the team down for this season. But if it is not BS he could leave after 2010.
    I think you will find that was BS. We had the inside word that he had signed months before it was announced. The only delay was the ARU. The speculation came from the ES press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    If mitchell was serious at playing O'Connor at 10,he would have given him game time there last night
    surely?
    A moment of clarity from the drunken haze

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies Horatio

vCash

this photo is definetly suss, why is he smiling so much?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast