Thread: Good news for Force as Pocock stays for long haul

vCash

Good news for Force as Pocock stays for long haul

The Western Force, still without a Super 14 win this season, have been given a massive boost, with star Wallabies flanker David Pocock committing to the club.

It is understood the 21-year-old Force vice-captain has agreed to terms that will take him beyond the 2011 World Cup.

Pocock has told club officials he will not be leaving, although contracts will not be signed until his management negotiates with the Australian Rugby Union his salary top-up component.

A club spokesman said: "We are getting very close, we are moving in the right direction. We still have a few things to work through but we are confident of keeping David in Perth."

_The _ _ West Australian _ reported last month that Pocock was not interested in joining new Super 15 franchise, the Melbourne Rebels, but he was being hunted by the ACT Brumbies as a replacement for retiring Wallaby George Smith.

Pocock is a highly principled young man who was always likely to stay with the club that helped make him a Wallaby. His 17-year-old brother, Steve, joined the Force academy this year.

He is currently sidelined with damaged tendons to the middle finger of his left hand but is expected to step up his training this week and could be ready for the Good Friday game against the Stormers at ME Bank Stadium. He will be battling teammate Matt Hodgson, who has put in some dynamic, man-of-the match performances.

Re-signing Pocock has been a priority for the Force, not only to maintain the strength of their back row, but to give them some leverage if they intend chasing Wallabies and Queensland Reds playmaker Quade Cooper, who is good friends with Pocock and Force teenage backline star James O'Connor.

Cooper is rumoured to have been offered a contract in France. The ARU is not likely to look at his contract renewal until after a burglary charge is heard in July. A decision on Cooper is one of the reasons the Force will not rush into playing its marquee card-signing for an overseas fly-half.

�George Smith insists he hasn't played his last Super rugby game as the Brumbies prepare to blood highly rated 18-year-old flanker Michael Hooper against the Chiefs in Canberra on Friday.

Smith, 29, will end a run of 59 consecutive games, stretching back to 2005, by missing the Chiefs match with shoulder nerve damage.

He was injured in last Friday's loss to the Blues in Auckland.
    Smith, who has announced he will be leaving the Brumbies at the end of this season, hosed down reports he might have played his last game for the franchise for whom he has won eight player-of-the-year awards.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...for-long-haul/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 23-03-10 at 16:16.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    One instance where I am comfortable to take a player on his "handshake".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Too true Burgs.

Thats the best news the Force has had all year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Big tick for the coaches and administration. Agree with your sentiments on his handshake, Burgs. A core group od stalwart Forcemen is starting to emerge. Next Skipper and eventually Wallaby Skipper. We should all be very happy about this one.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    all i read is "we are confident" nowhere does it say he has resigned... cmon folks dont count chickens before the fat lady sings!

although Im expecting him to stay im not going to be happy untill the scribble is on paper.

vCash
    Everything I've ever seen about the man suggests his handshake is enough.

I wouls also think that the other franchises have been reading the same press as me and will probably count him pretty much out of reach. (I guess the Brumbies could unleash some more of the taxpayers' money to make a late, Massive offer)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Looking at Shasta's avatar, does anyone have the profile shots right through?
    I have 06 and 07 but then stopped saving them.
    It's quite funny/impressive seeing how some of these fellas develop over the seasons.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't mind the Force not actively seeking a marquee fly-half yet, but they should be casting the net long and wide amongst players they can sign on the development imports. Getting chatting to the Michaels Hobbses, Robbie Robinsons, Aaron Crudens, Colin Slades, Daniel Kirkpatricks, Trent Renatas. They can't all be the next Daniel Carter. Or development hookers out of South Africa or New Zealand, even though Tyrrell was really good on Saturday you always need 3.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    This is good news, I'm confident his word is as good as his signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    One instance where I am comfortable to take a player on his "handshake".
    However, I'm not shaking his hand until his finger's healed - don't want to do any more damage!