Caucau gives Fiji the fast, flash option

GREG GROWDEN
May 26, 2010

SAM DOMONI, the former Waratahs lock in charge of the Fijian team, has a problem with a difference. He has too many wingers to choose from before Fiji's one-off Test against the Wallabies next week - including one of the greatest, and most controversial, in Rupeni Caucaunibuca.

Early indications suggest the Wallabies can expect more of the same from the Fijians when they meet in Canberra - fast and frenetic footy with plenty of flash if ''Caucau'' is involved. Domoni was in Suva yesterday at a training camp in which the Fijian selectors were trying to decide who exactly will make the 24-man squad for the Test, before heading to the Pacific Nations Cup in Samoa.

Ensuring they are not caught short of local knowledge during their stopover Australian leg, head coach Domoni will have by his side Joe Barakat, a long-time Sydney club coach in charge of the Junior Waratahs, and Brumbies Academy head coach Darren Coleman.

First he has to sort out what to do with all his speedsters. During a break in training yesterday, Domoni told the Herald: ''We had 10 wingers turn up the other day.''

They included Caucaunibuca, 30 on the day of the Test, who has decided to come out of international retirement because he wants to represent Fiji at next year's World Cup. Caucaunibuca, whose career has been interrupted by a long list of disciplinary problems and a three-month ban in 2007 after testing positive for cannabis, scored 13 tries from 25 games for Agen in France this season and said when joining the Fijian squad in Suva last week that he wanted to make amends.

There has even been suggestions the reformed character, who credits ''the Almighty for reopening the door'', wants to play at five-eighth. ''Many things had been said about me,'' Caucau said.

''Most of them negative but I would like to right the wrong. I get to be the centre of criticism. I want to prove my critics wrong.''

While other coaches, including at the Wallabies, would drool at so many options out wide, Domoni knows he has to make sure the mix of the team is right so that they are at least competitive against the Wallabies, especially up front. So many wingers will have to be overlooked, and instead several Sydney- and Brisbane-based players will be considered for positions, including West Harbour prop Campese Ma'afu.

If Ma'afu is chosen, it could lead to an intriguing clash of brothers in Canberra, as Brumbies prop Salesi Ma'afu is in line to be part of the Wallabies 30-man squad that will be named tomorrow.

''Playing against the Wallabies is a great opportunity for us to show that we can go forward, while it is a real test of character,'' Domoni said yesterday.

''We just know that we need good combinations and a good platform because without that we will all be back-pedalling. So it's important that we get our set-pieces right, before we get over there.''

Domoni said the aim was to stretch the Wallabies.

''We'll try to be respectable and want to make it a respectable scoreline. Look, it's just a game of rugby. There's the bounce of the ball and all that, so we'll just back ourselves and have a go.

''It will revolve around a concept which we have tried before. We will have a solid platform which we can run our backs from.

''We want to match their front eight and everyone knows our backs are good backs. And we'll go from there.''