Thread: Wallabies can field best scrum: Robinson

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies can field best scrum: Robinson

Wallabies can field best scrum: Robinson
    Adrian Warren
    15:15 AEST Tue Nov 30 2010

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8173052

Wallabies stalwart Benn Robinson is convinced Australia possess the personnel to field one of the best scrums in the world despite some more shaky efforts in that critical area on their Spring Tour.
    The most experienced of Australia's prop contingent on their Spring Tour, Robinson was relegated to the bench for the last two Tests against Italy and France despite being renowned as one of the world's finest loosehead props.
    The 26-year-old Waratahs' front rower certainly made a statement to coach Robbie Deans with the barn storming performance off the bench in Australia's record-breaking 59-16 thrashing of France in Paris last weekend.
    He scored just his second try in 42 Tests, but more significantly his arrival and the switch to tighthead of rookie Test prop James Slipper added greater stability to the previously wobbly Australian scrum.
    Surprisingly, Robinson didn't resent the seemingly never ending media and public scrutiny of the Wallabies' inconsistent effort in the critical set piece.
    "We definitely have the personnel to have one of the best scrums in the world," Robinson said upon his return to Sydney on Tuesday morning.
    Asked what the problems with the scrum were, Robinson said: "I think it's a few issues.
    "I think we have to be adaptable to every scrum we play against. The northern hemisphere scrummage differently to what we do down here in the south."
    While renowned as Australia's scrum linchpin, Robinson revealed he had been expected to do more around the field after being demoted to the bench.
    "I think (coach) Robbie (Deans) definitely wants to have an overall approach, he just doesn't want a scrummaging front rower, he wants a player that can pass the ball or run lines as well," Robinson said.
    "I think I've definitely got that in my game at the moment, but it's just about continuously improving for me."
    Deans was encouraged by Australia's second half scrummaging effort against France.
    "It's something we will continue to work hard at and we showed that if we can get the advancements there, then we will challenge anyone."

No.8 Ben McCalman, who started the last seven Tests of the season, made it clear he was determined to hang onto the position despite the impending return of Wycliff Palu, who was injured for the entire 2010 Test season.

"I certainly won't be rolling over and giving it to him," said McCalman, who just 12 months ago was uncapped and just hoping to break into Super rugby with Western Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Some people blame Sharpie for our average scrum. So why not get Elsom to pack in as a second rower (hell even get him to wear the 4 or 5 jersey even if he isn't playing there the rest of the time)? Elsom is only a keg or two lighter than Sharpie and at least then he would actually do some pushing in the scrums.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably what the ultimate answer would be is to find/develop a TH who is also a genuine battering ram in the cleanout. The existing FR do an ok job at the cleanout but there is certainly plenty of scope for improvement.

One thing I noticed against France is that the Forwards had gone back to taking the pass either flat footed or jogging, then wondering why they didn't make the advantage line.
    Sharpey was one this especially applied to on several occasions.
    If a big unit like him ran onto the pass from the base of the ruck or maul at 3/4 to full speed then the first tackler wouldn't have a hope of stopping him.

Back to the FR though, we have the cattle to mould a world class unit, each of them have shown really good signs, we are perhaps short of a genuine sculptor.

I wonder how much it would cost to sign Mike Cron for a short term contract, or full time post RWC...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/2...guru-Mike-Cron

http://eskimorugby.wordpress.com/200...-blacks-scrum/

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.