Thread: Wallabies on right track, says Graham

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies on right track, says Graham

Wallabies on right track, says Graham

Nick Taylor, The West Australian December 4, 2010, 9:12 am

David Rogers/Getty Images © Enlarge photo

Robbie Deans' reconstructed Wallabies showed on their spring tour that they were capable of beating anyone on their day. But they need to produce consistent good form if they are going to succeed at next year's World Cup in New Zealand.
    Deans has rebuilt the Wallabies and is now watching the development and progress of exciting young talent.
    Western Force head coach Richard Graham said a decision Deans made more than two years ago was starting to pay off.
    Graham, who was an assistant under Deans until taking the reins of the Force earlier this year, said the tour of Hong Kong and Europe had been ideal preparation for the big tournament.
    "Two-and-a-half years ago he made a decision that the next generation needed to be brought in," Graham said.
    "It hasn't been smooth sailing at any stage for him but he has maintained his belief. The thing I like about Robbie is he's been unwavering in his belief.
    "Some people call it pig-headed. I reckon he is very clear on the direction he wanted to take.
    "He's been to seven Super finals so he knows what he's doing.
    "As a consequence, you're now starting to see James O'Connor comfortable on the world stage, Kurtley Beale comfortable on the world stage, Quade Cooper showing he can play at that level … David Pocock clearly capable of playing on the world stage.
    "Had he not done that, and had he started to do that now, they would definitely not be ready for the World Cup.
    "These young men have proved to themselves and others they are capable of playing on the world stage.
    "It should add confidence, knowing how well this young group is progressing."
    Without doubt, the much derided Wallabies scrum is in need of urgent work as are some aspects of the defence. But Graham said there were also areas of improvement.
    "The reality is … you need a platform from which to win the World Cup," he said.
    "Australia's scrum problems can be fixed, of course they can be fixed.
    "What Robbie has done ... he is now very clear that he has a number of players in each position.
    "It is a matter of him now coming up and saying 'this is the best scrum and for the Tri-Nations and the World Cup I'm going to back these blokes'.
    "Defensively they will want to become more consistent. There were spots during the season where we were passive in our defence.
    "That's something going into the World Cup that they will look to address."
    Graham was happy with improvement in the skill level and broken play.
    "I definitely thought the skill level improved through the course of the season," he said.
    "In the performance against France, it came together. Against the All Blacks in Hong Kong, there was some beautiful rugby played.
    "Their understanding of what they should do from broken play, counter-attack from turnover ball, there's definitely been a huge improvement.
    "Overall, the tour was great preparation for the World Cup."
    Richard Graham's report card after the tour of Hong Kong and Europe
    Who stood out
    James Slipper
    I thought his performances really improved against some of the best tightheads in the world.
    Stephen Moore
    His best tour. His physical approach was more consistent and his work at the tackle showed real signs of improvement.
    Kurtley Beale
    It's a credit to him that he has put in the hard work and discipline.
    Ben McCalman
    Benny kept his momentum going through training camps and was able to maintain the No.8 position. His defence improved, will be a lot more comfortable at that level of football now.
    Rob Simmons
    At the start of the year the boy was on the bench or not even playing for Queensland. now he's the Wallaby starting lock with Nathan Sharpe.

Who lost ground
    Matt Giteau
    I don't think there's any doubt his leaving of Perth was a mistake. It suited him here, being himself. There's been a huge amount of expectation on him going back to Canberra and while that comes with the territory of being the highest profile player he's not comfortable with it. Here's a guy that has been selected in more of Robbie Deans' teams and is now not a starter.
    Saia Fainga'a
    A guy that started a lot of the domestic season and was involved in the Tri-Nations but was sent home after the second midweek game. Whether it's because it's been a big year for a young man and his performance started to drop away as a consequence I don't know.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...k-says-graham/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thought this was interesting, on one of the Wobs that went backwards this year...

Matt Giteau
    I don't think there's any doubt his leaving of Perth was a mistake. It suited him here, being himself. There's been a huge amount of expectation on him going back to Canberra and while that comes with the territory of being the highest profile player he's not comfortable with it. Here's a guy that has been selected in more of Robbie Deans' teams and is now not a starter.
    He's uncomfortable being in Canberra?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!