Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharpe set to equal Gregan's record

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe set to equal Gregan's record

Bret Harris From: The Australian March 15, 2011 12:00AM

THE best 21st birthday present Nathan Sharpe received was to make his professional debut but, 12 years later, there is only one gift he wants on Saturday when he equals George Gregan as the greatest Super Rugby cap-winner -- a win over the Lions.

The Johannesburg match will be his 136th in the competition -- the first 70 of them for the Queensland Reds, the rest for the Western Force team he has captained from the outset in 2006.

But Sharpe isn't eyeing off any personal achievements, not when the Force is still chasing its first win of the season.

"I wasn't even aware of this record until Sunday and I'm not even quite sure how I've come to equal George . . . he must have missed a few games through injuries," Sharpe said. "But it's not about me this weekend. We've had three disappointing results so far this season and all I want out of this match is a win as a reward for the boys who have been toiling away."

Sharpe has good and bad memories of the weekend he played his first Super 12 match, in 1999 against the Hurricanes at Ballymore. "We won (11-0) but the next day, as I was getting dressed for my 21st, I noticed for the first time that I was losing my hair," he quipped.

His debut was made possible because Australian captain John Eales was recuperating from the shoulder injury that nearly kept him out of the World Cup later that year. Sharpe's performance that day earned an approving tick from Eales, but that was by no means the first time Sharpe had caught his attention.

"I have very clear memories of our first meeting," Eales told The Australian yesterday. "I went to the Southport School to make some presentations at an end-of-season function and he came up and introduced himself. He was in Year 10, but he looked me straight in the eye. Not many people are tall enough to do that and he was only 15 at the time."

Eales cannot comprehend how little respect is accorded in Australia to the man who surpassed him as the Wallabies' most-capped second-rower.

"People underestimate him and it always surprises when they do," Eales said. "He always delivers. He is very solid, has very good ball skills, is gutsy and, on top of that, he takes on enormous leadership responsibility, some of it directly in the game as the lineout caller and general tactician but also off the field as well."

Sharpe might now be 33 but Eales is far from convinced that the Force captain's best rugby is behind him. "I think Sharpie is one of those guys who keeps getting better with age," he said.

If anything, Sharpe has become more valuable, not less, to the Force over the years.

"He was the first guy we contacted, long before we even had a coach or a chief executive," recalled Force chairman Geoff Stooke. "He came across right from the start as a quality individual, an intelligent footballer and a natural leader."

Now that Sharpe is set to equal Gregan's record, the question is whether the 93-Test veteran has an even more prestigious Gregan mark in his sights -- his world record of 139 Tests.

"Apparently not," said Sharpe, who does not have a Wallaby top-up contract for next year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226021384315

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I can't wait for another five games, when he's played more games for the Force than the Reds, it'll make him an honorary sandgroper for sure.

C'mon the

vCash
    puts it into perspective that he has still played more games for the Reds, and that was with a shorter season as well.

vCash
    Now that Sharpe is set to equal Gregan's record, the question is whether the 93-Test veteran has an even more prestigious Gregan mark in his sights -- his world record of 139 Tests.

"Apparently not," said Sharpe, who does not have a Wallaby top-up contract for next year.

Ouch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    puts it into perspective that he has still played more games for the Reds
    Yes. It shows we haven't been around Super Rugby that long and are still building a history. No doubt it will be a proud one.

BTW, GIGS; I'd lay money Sharpie is not an "honorary" Sandgroper. I bet he's a lifer.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    BTW, GIGS; I'd lay money Sharpie is not an "honorary" Sandgroper. I bet he's a lifer.
    Cmon Shasta-man, you know at the end of the day the "we grew here, you flew here" tag applies, even to legends like Sharpie Honorary Sandgroper is high praise indeed.
    [/sarcasm]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Cmon Shasta-man, you know at the end of the day the "we grew here, you flew here" tag applies,
    Yeah but I was mainly thinking of the WA Rugby fraternity. Most of the Bogans wouldn't know who he is.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No Swee, we do make exceptions on a merit basis

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    puts it into perspective that he has still played more games for the Reds, and that was with a shorter season as well.
    Makes it hard to believe it was possible. He played for the Force in 2006 and so that means if he played all of 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 = 5 seasons, then he would only have 11 Super caps + finals per season. How does that add up to 70?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Maybe "more games" rather than more Super Rugby games.

vCash
    "THE best 21st birthday present Nathan Sharpe received was to make his professional debut but, 12 years later, there is only one gift he wants on Saturday when he equals George Gregan as the greatest Super Rugby cap-winner -- a win over the Lions".

It's caps shasta. Obviously players get more more caps than the one cap per annum allowance that members get. It may be a health and safety issue to, as George seems to be in the same league as Sharpie when it comes to cranial UV protection ...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Surely Sharpie has played in at least 4 trials for us to date.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Makes it hard to believe it was possible. He played for the Force in 2006 and so that means if he played all of 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 = 5 seasons, then he would only have 11 Super caps + finals per season. How does that add up to 70?
    He was 21 on 26/2/99. Hence he must have played some of 1999 and 2000 as well?

vCash
    Sharpie's Career Timeline

(In part)

1996-1997 Represented Australia at Under 19 and Under 21 level. He went on to make the Australian Under 21 team for two more years, captaining the side in 1999.

1998-2001 Made his Super 12 debut with the Reds against the Hurricanes in 1998 playing alongside John Eales. Sharpe earned 57 state caps, including 41 in Super 12 rugby, before making his Test debut against France in 2002.

for more see here:
    http://www.rugby.com.au/players/wall...an,130575.html

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ohh. Ohh yeah. I am a bit of an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast