Thread: Where Are They Now?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs up Where Are They Now?

Over coming months, we hope to produce a series of articles on past Force players who have retired from rugby, and where they are at now. We'll focus on those that have chosen to stay on in Western Australia.

We've recently had a chat with foundation Western Force player, David Pusey.

The hirsute former lock/flanker has taken to life after rugby like a duck to water.

Perhaps best known during his rugby career for his ability to shift an entire ruck with one shoulder, or perhaps his ridiculous red beard that raised almost $20,000 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Pusey has taken his talents into the white collar workforce and carved a nice niche for himself.

Pusey hung up the boots at the conclusion of the 2009 season, and, having attained his helicopter pilot licence during his playing days, took a job with Heliwest. Although the company is based in Jandakot, Puse found himself doing the majority of his flying in the State’s North West, from Karratha to Newman to Port Hedland and anywhere in between.

While he loved the work itself, the big fella left Heliwest in April 2010 in order to spend more time with his family. Dave’s son, Samson, was born in October 2008 and his daughter, Luella, followed in December 2010, meaning Dave and Jody have had their hands full on the home front.

Changing nappies and cleaning up after two loveable rug rats didn’t stop Dave’s career momentum, as he started up a gym – Pure Fitness Group – in May of 2010. As a part-owner, Pusey worked in the growth and development side of the business as well as being a personal trainer until the end of 2010.

Dave took the big step of joining RBS Morgans as a Private Client Adviser in early 2011, a job which entails a combination of financial planning and stock broking. In this role, Pusey manages, invests and protects client investments, mainly in equities and fixed interest listed on the Australian Stock Exchange and dealing largely with Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF's). During his playing days Dave completed a diploma in financial planning (through FINSIA, and organised through RugbyWA), and has since attained a diploma in financial advising.

Being the good guy that he is, Dave pointed out that TWF fans can contact him for an obligation-free chat about their investment options (at no charge). If you’re interested in reviewing your superannuation options, or discussing your financial needs with Dave and RBS Morgans experts, contact Dave at RBS Morgans for more information.
    David Pusey, Private Client Advisor, RBS Morgans
    Level 20 140 St Georges Tce Perth WA 6000
    GPO BOX 8008, Cloisters Square Perth WA 6001
    Direct: 08 6462 1956 | Mobile: 0410 547 135 | Fax: 08 6462 1911
    Pusey still keeps a finger in the rugby pie too. He was an assistant coach to Ian Fowler at Cottesloe in 2011, helping to guide the Premier Grade side to a third place finished. Puse can also be heard commentating on Western Force home games and stock market reports daily on 882 6PR.

I hit Dave up with a bit of a Q&A

Why did you choose to stay on in Perth?
    WA, the land opportunity. I have loved everything about Perth since I arrived 6 years ago. I met a Perth girl and we now have two children together. Perth is home. Yes, it has claimed another New South Welshman

All time best rugby player
    Tough question, in my time best back Steve Larkam and best forward George Smith

Most memorable win
    There are 3, beating the NZ U19's in Christchurch as captain of the Aust U19's in 1998. Winning a Super 12 title with the Brumbies in 2001 against the Sharks, and Our first win for the force against the Cheetahs in 2006

All time best sports person
    Tiger Woods in his day was phenonominal

Best rugby try ever
    Mine against the reds at Suncorp in 2006 or 2007. It was so good I can't remember what year it was.

Do you miss getting the crap knocked out of you on weekends?
    I do miss the physicality of the game, however, not the soreness. Its hard to vent anger now days

Do you miss knocking the crap out of others ?
    Yeah I do. I loved the physical nature of the sport. I believe I played fair and rarely played dirty, however, I was a believer of "get him first before he gets you"

Do you think you’ll pull the boots on for a bit of amateur rugby in the future?
    I did in 2010. Won a premiership with 4th Grade at Cottesloe. Coached in 2011, who knows what 2012 my hold. Never say never, and if I do, it will be fourth grade again. There is a strict rule on no training and a 5 minute warm up pre game. Suits me fine.

Is there a future coaching role for you (Back at Cott)?
    Cott has a great coach in Ian Fowler. My understanding is he will be there for a few years. I helped Chook out this year and really enjoyed my time with the club. I'm happy to help out where I can, time permitting. Life is pretty busy now, and rugby can no longer be a priority unfortunately.

What's your second favourite sport and team (assuming Rugby is 1st)
    I don't have one. I don't watch a lot of sport. I'm not a great supporter of any team or sport outside of Rugby

What's your all time favourite beer?
    I would have to say Guinness. 2 years living in Co. Cork, Ireland, helped me refine my taste for it. Paul and the crew serve up a great pint. Its a treat for me when I get to JBs
    For a stubbie, Chancer by James Squire is a nice drop.

Should the Force have cheerleaders?
    In my opinion, the Force games need more entertainment and a greater atmosphere. Whatever can create this has my full support. Whether its live music, cheerleaders, stunts or acrobats, it does not matter. What matters is that the supporters and the crowd turn up to experience more than a game of high quality Rugby.

Thanks to foundation Force media man, Crispin Roberts for his significant role in putting this together and to Dave for sharing his time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What a great idea Coach and well done Crispin

So when are you going to write "that other" story you promised when you finished up Crispin ????

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 02-11-11 at 12:57.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Brilliant idea, loved the read.

Looking forwrd to more in the future.

Well done lads.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”