Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Gold V Toshiba - Teams Lists

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force Gold V Toshiba - Teams Lists

MacKay Returns As New Look Western Force Gold Side Named To Play Toshiba

Thursday, 13 July 2006
    RugbyWA

Wallaby squad member Lachlan MacKay has been named at inside centre in a youthful Western Force Gold side for the clash with Japanese club Toshiba at Tompkins Park on Saturday afternoon.

Only seven members of the run-on side from last week's 28-24 loss to Manu Samoa have retained positions in the starting XV, as coach John Mulvihill gives less experienced players their chance to impress the coaching staff.

Club players Kiti Fuluna, Garth Ziegler, Tim Davies and Tyler Edwards have been named in the 22, with Fuluna and Ziegler included in the starting side.

Changes to last week's forward pack include props Pek Cowan and AJ Whalley replacing Gareth Hardy and Angus Scott, skipper Luke Doherty moving into the second row and Josh Fuimaono coming in for Richard Brown at number 8. Fuluna will assume Doherty's blindside flanker position.

In the backline, Matt Henjak and Jimmy Hilgendorf return at scrumhalf and flyhalf respectively, but the rest of the backline has been altered. Ziegler and Brett Stapleton replace Digby Ioane and Tajhon Mailata on the wings, Haig Sare moves out one spot to outside centre to accommodate MacKay's return and Ryan Lenegan replaces Cam Shepherd at fullback.

Toshiba will provide stern opposition, coming off an impressive 50-17 win over WA's amateur State side, Argonaut Gold. The 'Brave Lupus' side includes former All Black centre Scott McLeod and former Dutch international and New Zealand provincial stand-out Nicholas Holten.

Mulvihill described this game as another step towards the APC in September, and one which would give some lesser known players the chance to push for selection in the squad for that tournament.

“Changes had to be made due to last week's performance and the unavailability of Australia A players. This game provides us with another chance to find out what these guys can do now, rather than finding out during the APC,” Mulvihill said.

“These games against Toshiba and Yamaha (next month) give us the opportunity to establish some momentum heading into September, as well as exposing guys to higher quality rugby to see if they are up to it.”

“As last night's game showed (the win against Argonaut Gold), Toshiba will be tough opponents.”

Kickoff is 3.30pm.

The squad is: 1. Pek Cowan 2. Luke Holmes 3. AJ Whalley 4. Pat O'Connor 5. Luke Doherty (c) 6. Kiti Fuluna 7. Matt Hodgson 8. Josh Fuimaono 9. Matt Henjak 10. Jimmy Hilgendorf 11. Garth Ziegler 12. Lachlan MacKay 13. Haig Sare 14. Brett Stapleton 15. Ryan Lenegan 16. Ryan Tyrell 17. Angus Scott 18. Tyler Edwards 19. Will Brock 20. Vitori Buatava 21. Junior Pelesasa 22. Tim Davies.

Unavailable for section: Nathan Sharpe, Scott Fava (Wallabies), Cam Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, Richard Brown, Digby Ioane (Australia A), Brendan Cannon, Tai McIsaac, David Pusey, Chris O'Young, Zander Peden, David Pocock, Scott Daruda, Rudi Vedelago, (injured), John Welborn (retired).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    henjak didn't even make australia-a .. hahahahaha

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Unfortunate scheduling of this match by Rugby WA.
    Many of us are involved in various capacities with club rugby.Unless we are with either Paly or kalamunda we will be unable to watch this match due to club commitments.Surely this match could have been played on Sunday so "grass roots" supprters could watch?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    Many of us are involved in various capacities with club rugby.Unless we are with either Paly or kalamunda we will be unable to watch this match due to club commitments.Surely this match could have been played on Sunday so "grass roots" supprters could watch?
    I was thinking along the same lines BDGF plus there is Wallabies V South Africa at 6pm.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I will go down to watch it ... if anyone needs a lift from the park to afterwards I'll be happy to provide it!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    I will go down to watch it ... if anyone needs a lift from the park to afterwards I'll be happy to provide it!
    oh are you organising a bus Happy

vCash
    Yes, I did make my feelings known to Rugby WA.

Great to see Kiti Fuluna, the athletic blindside flanker and occasional centre from Wests-Subiaco and Argonaut Gold getting a run at the next level, and Nedlands wing Garth Ziegler as well.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    my car will hold 5 of us - if you class that many people as a "bus" then yes! come down I'll bring you back to the pub!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's a bit rough.

I can only assume that it is RugbyWA doing the deals to get these teams down here? If it is - good on 'em! But why can't they finish off with a bit of promotion and considered scheduling?

I haven't been reading the papers much lately but the only places I've heard about these matches are from members of the clubs hosting them...

Reckon I should do another TWF mailout to remind everyone?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Notice a couple of names missing from the squad?
    James & TeMoana.
    Rumour has it that James has been let out of his contract,& TeMoana's wont be renewed

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Good pickup there - They do seem a bit obvious by their ommision now...

vCash
    Brock James is off to France tomorrow, can't remember what club he is playing for and Te Moana is around, but i think he is injured.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr

In the words of Meatloaf.....YOu took the words right out of my mouth TIF

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    In the words of Meatloaf.....YOu took the words right out of my mouth TIF
    On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
    On a cold winter night perhaps you better consider the same circumstance Happy

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast