Thread: Paul's Cup chance next to none

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Paul's Cup chance next to none

Personally I think something is a little smelly here, you can't even start to convince me that Freier is a better Hooker than Paul, let alone him being rated behind all of Moore, Freier, Polota-Nau and Hardman.
    Certainly he is currently injured however if Polota-Nau has the ability to use two or three ARC matches to improve fitness then why can't our most capped Hooker be given the same opportunity?
    I certainly don't blame JP for wanting to get the hell out of this country when, after all he has given, he is being treated in such an off-hand and shabby manner.
    I maintain that the current Wallaby Coaching team is ego driven when it comes to certain selection decisions and hide behind the "development" argument when called upon to justify their actions.
    As stated previously, they have no mandate to develop our depth, all they are to be judged upon is the success of the Wallabies in France and this has been re-enforced publicly by the CEO they had to have in recent days.

Jeremy Paul: Brumbies (5th) Starting Hooker, 72 Tests (35 from bench but fighting it out with Brendan Cannon mainly), 14 Tries. 30 Years. 1.84m 104kg.

Adam Freier: Waratahs (13th) Mostly Starting Hooker, 13 Tests (Only 5 Starting), never scored. 27 Years 1.75m, 101kg .

Stephen Moore: Reds (14th) Starting Hooker, 15 Tests (10 from bench), 1 Try. 24 Years 1.86m, 112kg.

Tatafu Polota-Nau: Waratahs (13th) Occasional Starting Hooker, 3 Tests 0 Starts), never scored. 22 Years. 1.81m, 113kg.

Sean Hardman: Reds (14th) Reserve Hooker, 2 Tests (1 Bench), never scored. 30 Years. 1.83m, 105kg.

Paul's Cup chance next to none

July 04, 2007

AUSTRALIA selectors have officially slammed the door shut on Jeremy Paul, declaring the 72-Test veteran next to no chance of making the 30-man Wallabies squad for the Rugby World Cup.

Coach John Connolly admitted Paul was a long way "down the pecking order" after New South Wales hooker Adam Freier was named to replace the injured Stephen Moore (sternum) for Saturday night's Tri-Nations Test against South Africa in Sydney, with fellow Queensland player Sean Hardman promoted to the bench.

Paul, the John Eales medalist just two years ago as the Wallabies' player of the season, has been on the outer since the start of Australia's 2007 Test campaign, being overlooked for Moore, Freier, Tatafu Polota-Nau and now Hardman.

The New Zealand-born 30-year-old was expected to meet with ARU boss John O'Neill this week in a last-ditch effort to gain an early release from his Wallabies contract in order to link up with Gloucester in the English premiership.

"That's being discussed at the moment and I'd be surprised if he didn't get a release in the near future," Connolly said.

The Wallabies and ARU were initially reluctant to let Paul go, fearing they might need him for the World Cup in the event of a spate of untimely injuries.

Asked why they'd had a sudden change of heart, Connolly said: "Probably because Jeremy missed all the (Australia) A games".

"He didn't play in any of the A games. He's been out of rugby now since the 2nd of May basically, so it's quite a while and we think it's time to move on."

But amid speculation Paul is experiencing personal troubles off the field, Connolly refused to say whether he and fellow Wallabies selectors Scott Johnson and Michael O'Connor suspected the 1999 World Cup winner's heart was no longer in it.

"That's for Jeremy to decide. I'm not sure, but we've made our decision," Connolly said.

With Paul now officially out of the frame, Moore, Freier and Polota-Nau, providing he recovers from a knee injury suffered last month, are almost certain to be Australia's three hookers at the World Cup in France in September-October.

"We got a positive report on Tatafu yesterday," Connolly said.

"He'll start training in probably three to four weeks and be 100 per cent in that time.

"So that was a positive report. All indications are that he'll be available for (World Cup) selection.

"And we have national champion games - two or three games - for him to play before he goes, if he was selected."

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I feel for the man really. He's has provided years of service to the Wallabies, was best and fairest two years back and now is not even in the picture. To say that they were initially reluctant to grant him a release is stupid, if the guy's not going to get a go, let him move on with his life and stop wasting his time! The Wallabies seemed to have made their choice, so its time for both parties to move on. Goodluck to him!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I always doubted JC would pick him after he challenged the 'gospel according to connolly'

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Paul was never going to be picked. Thats why he asked for a release - for some reason ARU selectors said "no!" but still don't want to use the best line out thrower available.

JC's comment that "he hasn't played since May" is rubbish. By that standard why did JC keep selecting Cordingly in to the Aust A - has played for over a year.

JC selection policy still seems to revolve around - give me yes men and ignore anyones talents.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Paul expected to be granted release

July 05, 2007 - 5:59am
    Story by: Sportal

Unwanted Wallabies hooker Jeremy Paul is expected to be granted a release from his ARU contract after being told he was unlikely to make the World Cup squad.

Wallabies head coach John Connolly told media at the team announcement on Wednesday that the 72-Test veteran was not considered to replace the injured Stephen Moore in the Australia's squad for this weekend's clash against South Africa in Sydney.

NSW Waratahs hooker Adam Freier was named as the starting hooker for the Tri-Nations Test with Queensland Reds rake Sean Hardman earning a bench spot.

Connolly believed Paul's non-selection would mean the former John Eales Medallist would more than likely be granted a release from his current contract with the ARU so he could end his impressive career by playing with Gloucester in the UK.

"That's being discussed at the moment," said Connolly "We have agreed to that and I'd be surprised if he didn't get a release in the near future."

Connolly explained that Paul's form and lack of match-fitness were the main reasons why selectors have decided to overlook him for the current international campaign.

"There were a lot of things to take into consideration but form was the main one," said Connolly. (He was the best Hooker in Australia playing the best performed team John )

"He didn't play in any of the (Australia) A games. He made a comeback to club rugby last weekend but he's been out of rugby now since the beginning of May, so it's quite a while and we just think it's time to move on."

Connolly indicated that he was, however, keeping an extra hooker option open by tracking the progress of injured Waratahs rake Tatafu Polota-Nau before the World Cup.

"We have got a positive report on Tatafu and all indications are he will be available for selection," said Connolly.

"He'd have to play a couple of Australian Championship games if he was to be selected."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    JC's comment that "he hasn't played since May" is rubbish. By that standard why did JC keep selecting Cordingly in to the Aust A - has played for over a year.
    Reeks of hypocracy huh.

Based on performance my arse... what are players like Phil Waugh doing in the team then? and Vickerman.

Granted I love them to bits but they played bugger all super 14 this year and for JC to turn around and tell other players like JP they don't have enough game time to be considered is a cruel joke.

Think before you speak JC.

In fact... just think!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    John Connolly, i have absolutely no respect for your words and actions...
    You are a puppet, no, a muppet, and i am glad you are not staying on after RWC...I once believed you to be a breath of fresh air, but all you have turned out to be is a stale fart....I love the Wallabies and hope we bring home BILL, but i cannot support the coach anymore, sorry....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    c/o Growdens last Ruck & Maul:

Jeremy Paul's days as a Wallabies hooker are over. Selectors cited poor form as the reason but numerous influential figures also believe he is a destabilising influence within the team.

What, as opposed to that team building genius Tuqiri

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.