Cup swansong for Hickie

From correspondents in Dublin
August 14, 2007

DENIS Hickie, the Leinster and Ireland wing, announced overnight he will retire after the World Cup.

The 31-year-old, who has won 58 caps, was named on Sunday in Ireland's squad for the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France, from September 7-October 20.

"It is a decision that that I have not come to hastily and as a result I am content that it is both the right thing for me to do and that I am doing it at the right time," said Hickie.

The wing made a try-scoring debut for Ireland against Wales in 1997.

He has scored 29 Test tries, and on several occasions has held the Irish try-scoring record, vying for the mantle with his Leinster colleague, Brian O'Driscoll, who also has 29.

Hickie, who was selected for the British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand in 2005, said: "I have had a very enjoyable and fulfilling career as a professional rugby player.

"I have now decided that the best time to end my career is immediately after the upcoming World Cup.

"For now my focus is entirely on doing everything I can to help Ireland win the Rugby World Cup.

"I have chosen to make this announcement now in the interest of letting (coach) Michael Cheika and all at Leinster Rugby prepare accordingly for the upcoming season."

Ireland's World Cup campaign gets underway against Namibia in Bordeaux on September 9.

"I think Denis will be remembered as one of the great wingers of Irish rugby," said Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan.

"He has always been the consummate professional as is reflected in his performances with Ireland."

Agence France-Presse